AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export data from spaces and blocks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
RKoopman
880 Views, 8 Replies

export data from spaces and blocks

excuse me for my english, since it is not my native language.

I have questions about exporting data for drawings.

We make use of spaces to create a list with roomnumbers, room use and the area.

we also create plans with office furniture.

we have blocks with attributes to extract data like workstation numbers, department, roomnumbers etc.

for the info from the spaces we use export property data to create an database file.

for the export of the attributes we use dataextraction to crete an .xls file

Is there a way to combine the work so that we can export the attribute data with the export property data?

Is there a way to link the blocks (who are within a closed pline) to the pline (space)?

Can it be done with lisp or VBA?

thanks in advance

Kind regards

Ruud Koopman

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Keith.Brown
in reply to: RKoopman

I usually work in AutoCAD MEP but it is built on top of AutoCAD Architecture so this should work.  I believe that one way to do what you want would be to convert your blocks to mvblocks.  That would make them an AEC object.  You could then create a property set that would hold the same information that the attributes held previously.  In addition, you could add to your property set a location property definition that would allow the mvblock to "know" which room it was in.  This way, the workstation mvblock would automatically know which room it was located in.  If you moved the workstation, it would know that it had been moved and the property information would automatically update.

I use this information in the MEP world to associate pipes and ducts with rooms.  The pipe and duct read the room information and get the ceiling height and bottom of deck height.  The pipe and duct are then aware if they are below the ceiling space or above the deck and are able to report this information through a label attached to them.  Same concept just a different implimentation.

I am not sure if this answers your question or not but I hope the information was helpful at least. 🙂

EDIT:  You could probably add the property set to your blocks without converting them to AEC blocks.  The disadvantage would be that the property set would apply to ALL Blocks.  If you made them a mvblock, I believe that you could create classifications and assign individual property sets to those classifications.  i.e.  A property set would only be valid for a workstation mvblock if a workstation classification was created.  I don't believe that you can create classifications for standard block references.

Message 3 of 9
RKoopman

thanks for your answer,

but I can't get it to work.

Do you now if there is a tutorial, or can you supply me with one of the blocks?

then i can take a look where I go wrong....

thanks 

Message 4 of 9
David_Knight

Try this out...

Smart Tags for Doors, Spaces..  Smart Room Tag, Door Tag, Code Tag, Room Schedule, and Door Schedule.  Been working on these for a long time.  I couldn't have done it without help from people here.  Maybe this will help you out too... Then again, maybe I misunderstood what you're looking for.

Good luck.

*edit*

meant to include this link.

http://www.jtbworld.com/aca_db.htm

we bought his script/database tools to do our sychronizing.  but we've found its easier sometimes to just do it manually.

Message 5 of 9
ntellery

http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com.au/2006/08/adt-schedule-feature-resources.html

really good resourses for scheduling etc.

I'd also say convert to aecMVB's too as they will give you extra flexibilty and more power.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 6 of 9
NCAyjohnson
in reply to: David_Knight

I did try inserting an OOTB Room Finish Schedule. I selected the spaces, then selected a location to place the schedule, and then nothing happens?  I've checked to see if this got placed randomly in the drawing somewhere but it doesn't?

I used to use the software many years ago, a lot.  So I know what to expect with the OOTB schedule when importing.  I would then modify the appearance of the schedule to fit office standards here.  I just get nothing though?

Message 7 of 9
NCAyjohnson
in reply to: NCAyjohnson

Here's the drawing I'm working in...  I don't know if this is a setting issue or what?

Message 8 of 9
leothebuilder
in reply to: NCAyjohnson

I checked you file and I am not sure why it is not possible to insert the OOTB room finish schedule.

I did insert a room finish schedule in another drawing and set the property of the schedule to read your file as an xref and it worked fine.

(except the spaces do not have the RoomFinishObjects PSD attached so the schedule produced question marks)

Message 9 of 9
NCAyjohnson
in reply to: leothebuilder

I think I've messed up how I defined the Space Objects.  I saw how DMA did theirs in their attachment and its different than mine.  I'll tinker with this (again) and see what happens.  Lol, I just have to get this done right. 🙂  I'll post my progress - thank you for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost