AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drawing files switched names overnight.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
BOLIOBOY
233 Views, 2 Replies

drawing files switched names overnight.

I walked into work this morning and my landscape guy comes up and ask me why i moved the base plans for 2 different buildings xrefed into his site plan. I told him i did no such thing. We opened up the directory, found the two offending files, bears and restaurant. the bear building base plan now had the restaurant in it, and the restraurant base plan had the bear building in it. both drawings showed a last modified date of 4-6 days ago, yet last night before going home, my xrefs were as normal in his site base. so this happened overnight, no one touched it.

so then i go up a folder in the directory to all of my A sheets, and the same thing had happened there. A1 was now A2, and A2 was A6, and A6 was A2, you get the idea.

so i renamed the xrefs, instead of copy and pasting things in and out. and then i start renaming the A sheets, while i'm renaming the A sheets, some of them disappeared from out of the directory, then came back with an X in front of the file name, then after a second or two, the x went away. i opened the file, and they were back to being the correct drawings in the correct files.

These buggers changed their own names overnight, then somehow realized it and fixed themselves this morning. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!!!???

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: BOLIOBOY

Sorry, neither AutoCAD nor Windows OS can rename files like that all on their own: either someone helped or your server/backups did some sort of restore after your files last night got wiped out.

Consult your IT/Server Manager.
Message 3 of 3
BOLIOBOY
in reply to: BOLIOBOY

No one else was in overnight, nor is anyone else working on the project other than my landscape guy, but he lives an hour away, and would not have drove 2 hours round trip to play a prank, only to waste 3 hours the next morning fixing it. besides, i was in the office until late and was the last to leave.

It may not be that the files were renaming themselves, so much as the content of the drawings were switching around. i sat and watched with the directory open as the files kept moving, changing, etc. This was at 9am. our server backups are at midnight.

We think we might have fixed the issue, for now. all morning yesterday, i purged and audited every single file. And i turned on proxy objects, and found that the two main problem files had proxy objects, so i copied the drawings into a whole new cad file to abandon the proxy objects. since doing this series of procedures, our issue has gone away...for now.

does anyone know if proxy objects can cause this kind of flaw?

this particular project has been plagued through it's various phases for years, so that's why i think something like proxy objects has been carried over to each new reiteration and causing lingering issues.

I have other inexplicable problems, that in an office of 30 people, only i have. I can't find specific answers to them, but in those cases the server or security scanner is the suspect.

alternate issue #1: CAD files i am working in will switch to read only, create tmp files, and won't let me save. i have to open the properties menu of the said CAD file, change if from read only to normal. then i have to delete the .tmp files or when i resave the CAD file, it will completly dissappear from the directory. Way back when this problem first popped up, we didn't know to delete the .tmp AND the .bak files associated with the problem CAD file, so the problem got more and more persistant, until one day i sat with some others in my office and watched as ALL of my files, dissappeared and reappeared in and out of the server over and over, until it eventually stopped, and half of my .dwgs never came back. Since we started deleted .tmp and .bak files, this issue has not been so drastic.

I have figured out how to duplicate this bug, if i've got a dwg open, and i make the .bak file read only, it will cause the issue. so i'm thinking somewhere i'm losing contact with the server and it switches the .bak to read only and causes the whole chain of events? does this sound crazy?

issue #2 isn't ACAD related, but is another possible server or security scanner issue. seemingly at random, my outlook email will move all of my inbox items to junk mail, then move junk mail to the inbox. then, bring back 10's if not 100's of old PERMANANTLY deleted emails, and jam them in my inbox. and sometimes will even make 4-6 copies off all of this junk, thus in a matter of 30 seconds shoving upto 1,000 emails into my inbox. it's insane. i have noticed this is most likely to occur when i get a junk email, but this may only happen 2 - 3 times a week, while i get still get 15 junk emails a day, so it's not consistent.

i've switched computers multiple times, that never worked.

we have trend micro fyi.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost