AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autocad 2010 vs. autocad architecture 2010

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kramerd2
3416 Views, 4 Replies

autocad 2010 vs. autocad architecture 2010

I,m sure this will seem like a question from a student, but can anyone explain to me the fundamental difference between these 2 software products?  I see autocad architecture as a  "hybrid" of autocad and revit.  Am I correct?  I went to school for for autocad and my instructors were constantly perplexed when I did assignments on the autocad architecturee software,  but that;s what I had! Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
KathyMoffa
in reply to: kramerd2

Think of it more as AutoCAD + Architecture.  AutoCAD Architecture has everything AutoCAD has, including the ability to set your profile to AutoCAD and have it look like vanilla AutoCAD.  The addition of the "architecture" tools like doors and windows, walls, roofs and slabs are not available in plain AutoCAD.  From a plan view, a wall with windows and doors created with the architectureal tools may look the same as those created with AutoCAD using the line command, but switch to an isometric view and you see the difference.   For the difference in the price, in my opinion, it's a huge product.

Revit is an entirely different product that originated from another company which Autodesk acquired (look it up on Wikipedia), and judging by postings to this forum, appears to be Autodesk's current favorite child.

Message 3 of 5
jmcintyre
in reply to: kramerd2

When giving them the files, are you exporting to acad? Vanilla acad cannot read ACA files without a plugin.

Message 4 of 5
kramerd2
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Thanks so much for your input!  And, yes, I agree! ACA is a superior software to do dwgs!

Message 5 of 5
kramerd2
in reply to: jmcintyre

Actuallt NO! I simply brought my laptop with me every day.  I guess they just didn't want to be bothered with plugins,etc, plus other students wanted to use ACA beccause it is more efficient and easier to use.  Kinda academic at this point, however, as I graduated 2 mos ago!Smiley Very Happy I am currenttly drawing kitchens for a firm and they are so IMPRESSED as they were using autoCAD 2004 SO Thanks for responding! I,m sure you smart will be hearing from me shortly  PEACE Gerry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost