AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with Consultants

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Amster31
501 Views, 14 Replies

Working with Consultants

Just upgraded to AutoCAD Architecture 2010. I work with consultants that used AutoCAD 2007. When I save the file to an older version the consultants do not see the same model that I do, lines are out of place, doors look like windows in plan, sections turn into squares and the roof is undefined ( was a hip roof and is now just a flat box with no slope). Is there a way to save the file so that the consultant sees what I see? 

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
cddrafting
in reply to: Amster31

When you save the dwg try saving the file to a DXF file instead of the normal dwg file.

chris

Chris
Message 3 of 15
David_W_Koch

Export your ACA file to the 2007 format.  Depending upon what information you need to give them, you may need to do multiple exports with different Display Configurations set current, or may need to set up a custom Display Configuration/Display Representation Set to get everything in one exported file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 15
Amster31
in reply to: David_W_Koch

It worked for the sections, but  it is still not showing the roof slope? 

Message 5 of 15
Amster31
in reply to: cddrafting

I exported the file to 2007 DXF. When the consultant opened the file all the lines were gone no blocks or anything showed up? 

Message 6 of 15
cddrafting

If you had a problem when exporting it in DXF format I would say you may have a problem with the drawing file itself. You know how Acad will do silly things for no reason, like not displaying lines in plan but will in 3D model mode. This happened to me yesterday, check the drawing properties. One reason for the roof diappearing is the elevation lines. Deleat the elevation lines around the floor plan and see what happens.

Chris
Message 7 of 15
David_W_Koch

Can you post sample files - original and exported?  I have not done any exports with roof objects in them, so i can not say whether or not there are issues with that.  What sort of view is causing the problem with the slope - is it a generated section or elevation, or is is a live, non-orthogonal view?

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 15
Amster31

Hi, 

Here are the sample files, we were just testing it out so it looks like a barn and a shed with one section cut through the Barn. I saved Drawing-1 in 2010 Architecture CAD and Drawing1-2007 in a exported version for 2007 which is waht the consultants would recieve. 

Message 9 of 15
Amster31

I don't see any elevation tags???? Where would I find them? 

Message 10 of 15
cddrafting

I cannot see anything wrong with the drawing !!

I did notice the roof has been converted to slabs & the front wall was missing, I managed to get the windows and doors to appear on plan view.

Attach the original working drawing so I can compare.

Chris

Adelaide Aust

Chris
Message 11 of 15
David_W_Koch

You did not Export the "2007" file.  It still has AEC objecs in it, so it must have been made using "SAVEAS" to the 2007 format.  That may work for (most) AutoCAD objects, but will not work for AEC Objects.  You could try turning proxy graphics on before doing the SAVEAS, and see if that gives you an acceptable result (and see if you can live with the increased file size).  Even then, you will not have usable AEC Objects in the file, and if the other user is using ADT/ACA, the AEC commands will be disabled.

If the other user is using vanilla AutoCAD, then Exporting the file to 2007 format may be the best way to go.  On the Application Menu (the big red "A" in the upper left corner), choose Export > AutoCAD > AutoCAD 2007 to do so.  Be certain to Export to a different folder/name than your working file, as the process will convert all AEC objects to AutoCAD lines, circles and arcs (some in blocks).  If you export from the Model tab, you will get whatever the current display shows.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 12 of 15
Amster31

Just turning the AEC objects into lines would work. When I export the file the way you describe File> Export it gives me 5 options: DWF, DWFX, 3d DWF, PDF, DGN. Which one would be best? 

Thank you!

Message 13 of 15
Amster31

Are you opening the drawing in 2007/2008 CAD? When I open the drawing in 2010 it looks fine but when I open it in 2008 the roof slopes are gone. See the attached picture. I have also attached the original "Drawing 1.dwg"

Message 14 of 15
David_W_Koch

Are you running ACA as ACA (rather than "as AutoCAD")?  You should have more than five choices, including, at the top, DWG.  See the attached image.

I would think DWG would be best for sharing with your consultants, but they may be willing to use another format as an underlay.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 15 of 15
cloudnin

Whenever my office coordinates with consultants, we use the eTransmit feature. This allows you to set a view in a drawing and through the transmit process purge, explode, consolidate, whatever. We often work with LOTS of xref files, and this also allows you to put them all together. We generally get good results by exploding things down to just lines and no AEC. This way we can get the consultants what they need and keep the full model to ourselves.

I suspect getting the consultants a 3D model is not needed,but if it is, try exporting your own 3D to your 2008 software and saving again from there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost