AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's the hardware forum

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Oilymo
346 Views, 7 Replies

Where's the hardware forum

Hi All,

Where's the hardware forum gone?  I'm trying to spec a new PC for ACA

Thanks

Ben

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Oilymo
Message 3 of 8
Oilymo

Thank, does that mean I can ask the question here?

Regards

Ben

Message 4 of 8
pendean

Since that forum is now locked, I would guess so.
Message 5 of 8
Oilymo
in reply to: pendean

Ok, can anyone help me with the spec for a new PC.  We're currently running ACA 2012 but are licensed up to date.

Also does anyone have experience of Revit and ACA?  Note I'm not asking which is better however as a fairly proficient user I reticent to change however Autodesk are constantly pushing me in this direction.

Many thanks

Ben

Message 6 of 8
pendean

So you only want to stay in ACA2012?
Have you tested REVIT? Are any of your clients using REVIT? Are any contractor you work with using REVIT? Are you willing to share all your REVIT project files with everyone?

REVIT is not AutoCAD, you cannot be "an island" with that software. There are bigger questions to adopting REVIT than some pressure you might feel from a salesman.

Message 7 of 8
Oilymo
in reply to: pendean

Dean,

We don't just want to stay on ACA 2012 but in my experience upgrading yearly is a nightmare so every 2 - 3 will be fine.  In fact we were on 2009 before our last leap and we don't feel the gain has been massive.

None of the 3rd party consultants we work with use Revit or ACA in fact they all ask for the drawings to be converted into ACAD 2007 format or PDF however the pressure to change from Adesk and resellers is never ending.  Do you use REVIT? We do a lot of detailing in our line of work and ACA is perfect for this.

I have tested REVIT and I did like the method of generating elevations and floor plans and ultimately drawings.  I like the way it handles buildings with multiple levels especially splits levels.  I also like the phasing option, the ACA renovation mode is rubbish!  We have however invested a lot of time and money into ACA and I'm not sure it's worth the leap yet.

Regards

Ben

Message 8 of 8
pendean

A couple fo things:
- Starting February 2015 Autodesk is going to a subscription-only option with AutoCAD (like they do now with REVIT). Whether you install it or not you will be on annual subscription for their software. AFAIK it's still going to be 3-years between DWG format changes, but REVIT is an annual version change and REVIT does not have the ability to save down. Not a typo, no saving down in REVIT.

- REVIT's value is in sharing with project partners, owners, consultants and builders/contractors. Otherwise it's really just another CAD program. It's a tough sell to change completely if you are the only one using it. If ACA is 'perfect' it may be worth waiting unitl you need REVIT. It's a great program, I am by no means an expert using it (reason you don't see me in that forum, I just lurk there absorbing knowledge).
Have you considered REVIT LT? Cheaper, omits all the file sharing options found in REVIT, and has very limited rendering options. Worth exploring it too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost