AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the layers from tool palette coming from?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jorgeseptien
220 Views, 6 Replies

Where are the layers from tool palette coming from?

After I carefully created a company layer key and replaced the standard AIA layer key with one that has all the letters capitalized (eg A-WALL-FULL), I was able to load walls in without a problem, and they load on the right layer. However, when I load the spaces from the standard tool palette, the layer where the inside pattern is comes in at A-Area-Spce-Patt while the outline comes in on the right A-AREA-SPCE. There is no key for the Space Pattern. Where do I set this layer?

Thanks,

Jorge
Jorge Septien
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: jorgeseptien

It likely is set in a Display Representation associated with that Space Style (or a Material Definition referenced byt that Space Style) in the source drawing. You may not have that Display Representation in your template file, or there is a style-level override on either the Space Style or a referenced Material Definition that does include that layer, and it is being imported into your drawing along with the Space Style.

If you must have all capital letters, you will want to open all source files and change all of the layers therein to all capital letters, to avoid any issues like this in the future.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Using ADT 2004 at work; access to 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 at home
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:08:38 +0000, David_W._Koch <> wrote:

>If you must have all capital letters, you will want to open all source files and change all of the layers therein to all capital letters, to avoid any issues like this in the future.

Or you could simply sidestep the issue entirely with a few lines of VisualLISP
code which would capitalize all the layers in one fell swoop 🙂

Matt
mstachoni@verizon.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Ya,
(vlax-for n (vla-get-layers(vla-get-activedocument(vlax-get-acad-object)))
(vla-put-name n (strcase (vla-get-name n))))

"Matt Stachoni" wrote in message
news:5759837@discussion.autodesk.com...
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:08:38 +0000, David_W._Koch <> wrote:

>If you must have all capital letters, you will want to open all source files and change
>all of the layers therein to all capital letters, to avoid any issues like this in the
>future.

Or you could simply sidestep the issue entirely with a few lines of VisualLISP
code which would capitalize all the layers in one fell swoop 🙂

Matt
mstachoni@verizon.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 05:02:06 +0000, Doug Broad wrote:

>(vlax-for n (vla-get-layers(vla-get-activedocument(vlax-get-acad-object)))
>(vla-put-name n (strcase (vla-get-name n))))

Yep (but don't forget (vl-load-com) 🙂

What's nice about using the ActiveX method is that it renames all Xref-dependent
layers as well.

Matt
mstachoni@verizon.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 6 of 7
jorgeseptien

Thank you all but what I am trying to do is have it so that when the Space comes in, the area within the space comes in on a layer that I designate from the Layer key and not from the actual drawing where the spaces are (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ACD-A 2008\enu\Styles\Imperial\Spaces-????.dwg). I was able to do it with the space border that comes in and uses the SPACEOBJ key in my customized Layer key, but I do not know how to create a key for the fill of the space which comes in on A-Area-Spce-Patt. I do not want to open each drawing in this location and change the layer name (which does work). I want to "assign" the SPACEPATT to a layer A-AREA-SPCE-PATT. I just do not know what the pattern is keyed to or how to tie it together.
Jorge Septien
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

It is not keyed from a Layer Key. It is hard coded into a style-level display override on each style.

So you can do one of the following:

1. Change the layer name in the source files.
2. If you want to keep the layer name, but simply have it be all captial letters, put the layer, with all capital letters, in your template file.
3. Change the layer name to all capital letters, using one of the methods noted above, after the layer is imported.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Using ADT 2004 at work; access to 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 at home

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost