AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from ADT 2004 NEED HELP

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jpv0519
266 Views, 2 Replies

Upgrading from ADT 2004 NEED HELP

I have been using ADT 2004 for a long time (approx 11 yrs).  It has been completely customized using AutoHook, Object DCL and QuikPik.  I know I should have stayed up on the times and upgraded a long time ago but the program still works great and have never had any major issues.  The problem now comes with this issue of age at this point.  I am having to run a virtual desktop to run Window's XP to run the program and now with XP not being supported anymore, I have to consider upgrading to a newer software.  My problem is I do not know which program to upgrade too.  

The way I have setup my current system is for speed.  I can draw and produce house plans very quickly.  I do not use "paper space" to set up each page of a set of plans.  I can draw either level of the home next to each other on a temple.  I type a command that takes a snap shot of the walls, windows, doors, stairs, and roofs that generates a 3D model.  I then type another command that can gives me a hidden layer that allows me to essentially redraw my elevations.  This allows me to add all the detail I like to see.  It's hard to explain because I am not up to date on all the correct terminology either.

Who or what can help me determine which program would be fit my needs?  It would need to be able to use my old .dwg files, and, if at all possible, my templates as well.  It would also need to allow the licensing on different computers.  I use this set up program at my office and at my home office.  

Are there any crash courses that I can take for the software?  I am located in West Michigan along the Lakeshore and would need something hopefully in the next few months.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: jpv0519

ADT (Architectural DeskTop) was renamed AutoCAD Architecture: is there something else you require, friend?

Newer programs are bigger with more features than older smaller programs, so "speed" is relative. If that's your concern consider trying to run ADT2004 in Windows 7 32-bit (not 64bit or Win8) and see if that's a cheaper option for you. Your add-ons will like not work sadly, check with their creators for help.
Message 3 of 3
ntellery
in reply to: jpv0519

There has been little change since ADT2004 to ACA2015 except a few improvements and a few bugs.   Wall cleanups were improved. Creating endcaps was improved and then wrecked.

As Dean says, ACA is ADT, just a name change.

You would have to buy a complete new version at full price though a reseller might have a deal for you, so it may be a good time to consider alternatives although updating to the current version will allow you to pretty much continue as you have been.  It will open your old files but not save back except to the current aec drawing version which is 2013/14/15.  You wouldn't need any crash courses. If you are using keyboard commands, you can ignore the ribbon and explore at your leisure.  Some commands are hidden such as object anchors.  Like you I use keys and it's great.  I can mostly ignore the changes to the interface and I have minimal interruption.  I do use the ribbon at certain times but it's rolled up out the way.

There has possibly been some changes in the reading of lisp so it's possible some of your code might need a twiggle.  Autohook and Quikpik have a current versions. Object DCL is still there or there is OpenDCL.

I'm having trouble getting ACA2015 to autoload my lisp.  It seems to load some and stop. Adesk is looking into it.

I'm just thinking.  You've ignored a decade of upgrades and missed a decade of subs/upgrade fees.  You've probably been max. productive without interruptions from new versions/interface/bugs. You could just get on with the job, earn your money and go enjoy life. Sheesh.  What you've saved in subs is more than the new version and you can hide away for another decade!

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost