AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool palettes won't stick

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
WStu
1570 Views, 6 Replies

Tool palettes won't stick

All of a sudden, I cannot get my tool palettes to stay where I want them after I close and reopen a drawing.  It has been fine for the last year and something has happened to where they won't stick.  I have set them where I want them, then opened a project in Project Nav and set the palettes where I want them and then closed the project without opening another. My default workspace does not hold the locations where I had set them prior to going into Proj Nav.  I go back into the same project via Proj Nav and again the tool palettes have moved back to where I don't want them.  I have exited Proj Nav and arranged by TP's the way I want them and then saved my workspace and that does not do anything.  What am I missing here?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jespublic
in reply to: WStu

I am not at my work computer right now, so I am going from memory.  But there is a LOCK feature for toolbars and palettes, etc.  I think it is actually a lock icon, down in the lower right corner. (?) 

Message 3 of 7
WStu
in reply to: jespublic

Thanks, I know about that, I have never in the past had to lock them to get them to stick.  I really don't want to lock them, because I still want to move them around.  I just want them to stay where I last put them when I exit ACA

Message 4 of 7
amason43

Close the current PN project.

Close AutoCAD.

Launch AutoCAD.

Close it again.

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Application Data\Autodesk\ACD-A 2008\enu\Support\Profiles\ProjectProfiles  (Mine is version 2008)

Delete all the files in that folder.

Launch AutoCAD.

Set everything to where you want it.

Close AutoCAD yet again.

Launch it yet again.

Save your Workspace.  Make sure to look at Workspace settings, and choose the radio button for "Do not save changes to workspace."

Close and launch.

Set your project current.

Clear out your ProjectProfiles folder on a regular basis, as they will become corrupted over time.

Hope this helps...

Anthony Mason - CAD/BIM Manager
Nichols Melburg & Rossetto Architects + Engineers
Blog: Daily Occurrence
AutoCAD Architecture 2008 SP2 / Revit Architecture 2011
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 / Google Chrome
Message 5 of 7
KathyMoffa

I have the same problem in ACA 2010.     It's the Project Navigator palette that is always giving me fits.   I  resize and relocate it and save the Workspace, only to find it back where I didn't want it the next time I open.   I have one Workspace where I must have repeated the process a dozen times before it finally stayed put.

Message 6 of 7
WStu
in reply to: amason43

amason43, I went through your suggestions and still no joy.  Every &^%$ time I open ACA my palettes show up right in the middle of the screen.   I have tried setting them locking saving my workspace and then exiting and still no worky.   Pain in the butt

Message 7 of 7
amason43

If you go up a level, to the 'Profiles' folder, there is a 'FixedProfile.aws' and also a folder with the same name as your current AutoCAD profile.  Try the same steps I mentioned above, and after you delete the project profile files, move those onto your desktop (so you have a backup).  Before you do the procedure, though, export your profile from within AutoCAD Options -> Profiles tab.  Also, view the properties of your icon you use to launch AutoCAD.  Copy the string in the 'Target:' field and post it here.  It might be pointing to a particular .arg file that is wiping your changes each time you open.

Anthony Mason - CAD/BIM Manager
Nichols Melburg & Rossetto Architects + Engineers
Blog: Daily Occurrence
AutoCAD Architecture 2008 SP2 / Revit Architecture 2011
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 / Google Chrome

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost