AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Palettes

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tedwardspg
552 Views, 4 Replies

Tool Palettes

I have a set of tool palettes that reference doors walls and windows an my template file. Two of the palettes just stopped functioning all of a sudden today. Everytime I or any of my users select any tool from one of these palettes we get an alert stating "unable to exicute tool, aborting" or something of that effect. all the other palettes that have similar smart objects associated with them work perfect. What can be causing this? Everyone except for me has READ permission and I am the only one that has Full Control

ACA 2013
Windows 7 enterprise
Intel core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 - 4GB
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MarySeufert
in reply to: tedwardspg

Any network changes that you know of? Any perrmission changes by IT? (Assuming you aren't IT)

Has the drawing that the problem tool palette takes its content from been saved in a different file format? Has it been moved accidently? Does this drawing need an Audit?

How are the working palettes different from the non functioning ones? Are they all custom or some OOTB? Pulling from the same drawing or from multiple places?

Can you access the tools through content browser? (If it was created with that workflow)

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 5
robincapperw
in reply to: MarySeufert

As above if your server name has changed the path may have. Found our tools use UNC servername folder etc rather than the mapped drive. Either way if drive mapping or server have changed can break paths.

Have you added any tools to the content browser? Are palettes refreshing from there?

Sometimes find adding a tool breaks the xml which controls tool palettes. The easiest fix is to restore the whole folder from back up (horray for windows folder history!) rather than try & fix the xml and altered files

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
Message 4 of 5
dbroad
in reply to: robincapperw

I have also had success editing the xml to replace path names, when the drive changes.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: dbroad

@Anonymous wrote:

I have also had success editing the xml to replace path names, when the drive changes.

I have done similar, when preparing to move from one release to another, particularly when there is a file format change involved.  I copy all of the old source files to a new location for the new release, including tool catalogs, and then open up the palette files and use XML Notepad 2007 to search for and replace any source file paths to set the relocated version path.  I find this faster than remaking the tools.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost