AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The number of sections/elevations in a file keeps increasing without adding any

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Libbya
402 Views, 7 Replies

The number of sections/elevations in a file keeps increasing without adding any

I have a file that contains the (7) exterior elevations for a project I am working on.  Throughout the course of refining the model I have refreshed all of the elevations numerous times.  To refresh them, I select one and then use 'select similar' from the right click menu and then select 'refresh' from the right click menu.  I have noticed that gradually, through the course of working on the project, the number of elevations it says it is refreshing in the progress window has increased from (7).  It is now at (21).  The first (7) take a bit of time and then the progress window just flashes once for each of the additional ones.  Any idea how the additional non-existent elevations come into existence.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MarySeufert
in reply to: Libbya

Bizarre... After you select similar under properties, does it say 7 or 21 Section/Elevation?

Just opened up an elevation drawing that another user in our office has been working on, and it also has phantom S/Es. After Shift select, to deselect each, I was left with four blank S/Es. Deleted them! They didn't come back after closing and reopening. Might have been some user error involved in my case 😉

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 8
Libbya

With select similar it says there are 21 sections/elevations selected.  I am the only one who has been using the file since it's creation.  Although I'm certainly not infallible, I'm quite sure I didn't create an extra 14 elevations.  I will select similar, deselect the 'real ones' and then delete as you mentioned.  

Message 4 of 8
Libbya

In observing it I believe it may have to do with vectors that have been modified followed by the model being changed.

Message 5 of 8
MarySeufert

So you were able to recreate the phantom S/Es?

What do you mean by vectors? To me vector means a direction with distance in space... For example: I moved an object along a vector.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 6 of 8
Libbya
in reply to: MarySeufert

I haven't discovered the specifics, but in working with the file today, 3 more came into existence.

As far as vectors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

I was referring to linework that has been edited within the elevation object.

Message 7 of 8
John.W.Mumaw

In my experience, when you make changes that ACA feels are extensive to a model and refresh, sometimes ACA will place a selection of  edits in a separate 2d section/elevation entity.  I believe the idea is for you to decide whether to include them or not.  I usually review the items and if they contain more edits (that are still valid) than I care to redo then I merge it with the original.  Otherwise I delete it.

Maybe this is what you're seeing.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 8 of 8
Libbya
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

I believe that is what I am seeing, but the phantom elevations do not contain any linework although I do not have hidden and erased vectors showing.  Perhaps that is what they contain.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost