AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Template question

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Oilymo
324 Views, 3 Replies

Template question

We started using this software when it was ADT 2004. At this point we (with the help of our reseller) created our standard template (QNEW). Since then we have simply brought the old template into the later version of ADT/ACA and we are now thinking of upgrading to 2013 from 2009. My question is quite simple;

Should I start again with our standard template?  Are we in danger of inheriting dead links, legacy issues etc.?

We do not use the project navigator as we do simple domestic extensions and I'm yet to see the work completed quicker/more conveniently and whilst I am keen to use OOTB we still need our text and dimensions styles etc.

Thanks

Ben

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Oilymo

In general, when moving to a new release, I would recommend starting with the out-of-the-box template file and then copying over any company-specific standard items (text styles, etc.).  That way you your new files will be ready for any new features.

That said, you also have to factor in how much customization you have done and how many "legacy" projects/files you have that will require additional work.  If you have done little customization and have typically worked with out-of-the-box styles, then for new work I would definitely tweak a copy of the new template file(s) and use those.  If you have done a lot of display system customization or have a lot of custom styles that have been heavily edited to get them to work just the way you want, then you will need to set aside time to migrate or re-create the display customizations and test your styles in the new environment.

While there have not been any radical changes to the display system since the 2004 release (that release made wholesale changes to colors, etc, that would have required a lot of work to convert/re-create styles created in 3.3 or earlier), there are incremental things that do get introduced that can make life interesting when old and new content gets mixed.  For example: 

http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2006/07/room-namenumber-psd-heads-up-in-2007.html

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Oilymo
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David,

Thank you for the prompt response.  I will start anew with the 2013 template

Kind regards

Ben

Message 4 of 4
Oilymo
in reply to: Oilymo

I've decided to stick to ACA 2012 due to the bad press 2013 has been getting and so far so good.  I am finding the ribbon tough and also less productive than a customised setup but I've decided to give it time before applying tweaks etc.  I have a few questions for the forum with regards to the original thread;

CUIX files;  which ones should I import?  I've got the standard ACA, EXPRESS and ADTUKCONTENT (an English based add on for custom walls, windows etc..).  If I bring in ACAD then all hell breaks loose on my screen.

Style manager;  Is there an easy way to import our standard roofs, doors, profiles etc..

Dim styles, text, multi leaders etc;  same question as for style manager.

Basically I am trying to resist importing our old template but do not want to have to recreate all of our styles etc.

Many thanks

Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost