AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Template.. Layers.. Title Block... Where to start?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2649 Views, 3 Replies

Template.. Layers.. Title Block... Where to start?

I was presented with a little renovation project and need to setup my own drawing.  I've worked on CAD for a number of years while at a structural firm, an engineering firm and took classes in school but one thing I never had to do was setup was my own professional drawing from scratch.  I know enough that it's crucial I start off on the foot.  The engineering firm I worked at had everything ready so whenever I used CAD it was in an existing drawing or preparing a detail which the drafters imported.  When I did some drafting work for an architect, he also had the drawing setup for me.   

Since I'm now on my own I need to setup my own template drawing with a title block, layers, etc.  

Whats the best route for setting up my own sheets?  

At my firm we always worked in a 1:1 scale & engineering units but since I'm doing floor plans for renovation work I plan on using the industry standard.  

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
marc5
in reply to: Anonymous

You would still set up to a scale 1:1 but set units to architectural. I assume you will be plotting to 24x36 sheet size. Our office plots to Arch D Landscape. Our border is 2'-9.5 x 1'x10.5. All this is set up in model space and under Utilities / Drawing Set up. We are running ACAD Architecture 2010. As far as layers, I suggest the following layers, you can add / remove / rename as needed.

Border; Title Text; Company Name; Sheet Title; Project Name; etc.

Save as "Company Title Block 24x36 or what ever works for you.

Hope this gets you started.

Message 3 of 4
ntellery
in reply to: marc5

Got to ask.  Why would you need so many layers just for the title block?

I can't think of why you would want to turn on/off certain layers in a title block??

Layers are useful for sorting data.  Why would you need to sort a title block?

Place it in Paper space where it's out the way (you might have to turn tabs back on) and put it all on layer 0 as a block.  Use fields for filling out the title block etc etc.

Maybe on a huge project (??) but KISS on small projects and make your life simpler.

Sheet is drawn at real world paper size.  Viewports at scale look back to model space.

Try OOTB stuff first and adjust as required. If TB is a block then you can adjust afterward.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Looks like I was a little too vague.  I was looking for a template that had a various sheet sizes with a title block, and I  and layers already setup for the entire drawing.  I found a page that had walks the user through configuration of fonts, arrow, layers..etc.. 

http://academics.triton.edu/faculty/fheitzman/Customizing%20AutoCAD.pdf

I ended up using this as a guide, I was hoping there was a template I could just download that was setup pretty well.

I guess this sort of thing is a work in progress.  Figuring out what style you want to represent your company.  How it prints.. etc.  Something I never had to do before because someone already did it.  I guess I just need to place with it and get all the kinks worked out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost