AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structural member justification

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kenkrupa
368 Views, 2 Replies

Structural member justification

I just noticed that when placing a structural member (BEAMADD command), the justification seems to be opposite of what I would expect. If I draw a wall upwards on screen, with Right justification, the wall is to the left of my points, as expected. But do the same with BEAMADD (either Top Right or Bottom Right), and the member is to the right of my points. Is there some rational reason for this? Or does AutoCAD just have this bass-ackwards? (ACA 2012)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: kenkrupa

I am seeing the same thing in ACA 2011.  For Walls, right-justified means that you are drawing points on the right side of the Wall (when looking from start toward end).  For Structural members, right-justified means that the beam is placed to the right of the points drawn.  Perhaps one could make an argument for either method, but I agree that the behavior should be the same.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3
kenkrupa
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Hi David,

I don't even agree that one could make an argument for either method. The meaning of Right and Left justified is pretty well established. Right justified text is also to the left of the point, whether in DText, MText, MS Word, or anything else I can think of. I've never encountered anything else that matches this beam behavior. Unless anyone can offer any peculiar reason for the difference, I have to think AutoCAD just screwed up on this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost