AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting to use 2D Section/Elevation... ?questions¿

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
thawkeshnm
982 Views, 2 Replies

Starting to use 2D Section/Elevation... ?questions¿

First time I have tried using these "new to me" features.

I was using detail boundary B, assigned the scale, and inserted the new drawing it gave me onto the same sheet.

Questions:

1. Why oh why did all of the drawing lines come in on the G-Anno-Noplt layer? I figured out that I could change it by going into object display >> Edit Display Properties >> and modifying the layer for: defining line, outer shrinkwrap, inner shrinkwrap, unknown components, and subdivision 1. I was expecting the section that I pulled to use the same layer colours I had on the larger drawing. I am using AEC walls, doors, and windows. All other objects are simple lines and blocks that have been just drawn in.
  2. I love how the titlenote is named properly, has the correct scale, and the proper numbering of the details.
  3. All of my doors ended up being closed in the detail plan view. Why are the doors closed? On the original larger drawing I have all doors open to 90 degrees.
  4. My AEC wall elements are not cleaning up nicely. I see diagonal lines between the corners where two walls come together.
  5. Same problem with an AEC opening. It just shows up as a line across the wall opening.

AEC Door Object Question:

6.  I have a door hook on the back of my doors, how would I go about editing the AEC door in the original drawings to draw a door hook into the AEC element?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
leothebuilder
in reply to: thawkeshnm

On the tool palette, right click the call out tool and select properties.

In the Section/Elevation style check the drop down box.

My guess is that it's set at "background" which makes it insert on nplot layers.

The purpose of this is so you can use it as a background and trace over line you want.

As for the hook on the back of the door, create a block for the hook and then edit the door style and add the block.

Do this via the "diplay properties" tab and then the "other tab", and add a "custom block".

You'll have to fiddle to get it to insert at the correct height and location.

Make sure you add the block to every display config you need it visible, e.g. medium display, high detail etc.

Why are the doors closed?  It was cold and there was a draft.

Just kidding, you have to go and edit the diplay configs. (again)

I'm glad you like the titlenote....hehe

Message 3 of 3
thawkeshnm
in reply to: thawkeshnm

Good answers Leo.

I would like to continue my questions about using the Detail Boundaries.

I have a drawing where I have recreated my building section using the Detailing tool palette using lumber, insulation, plywood, and gypsum board.

Since everything is drawn in a 2D flat plane. (Z coords = 0) Autocad will ask me to specify the elevation, then the depth, then it allows me to place the detail, and then nothing shows up at all.

I presume that it does this since there are no AEC 3D objects so the detail boundaries gives up and just won't do anything.

Any flat objects that do not have any thickness will not show up in the detail.

If I did take a line and give it a thickness, it will now show up. But giving a thickness to the 2x4 lumber block means exploding that block.

I guess I want this to work more like an elevation looking down on my model space. I want to be able to draw a building section once, then pull out details, and wall sections at varying annotative scales, to different sheets. Using the current colours I am already using. I have figured out how to do all this already, except for automatically pulling the title of the detail from the model space view, scale, and detail number. Do you know if this would work with the tools Autocad already has?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost