AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Without Project Navigator

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3650 Views, 8 Replies

Start Without Project Navigator

There is no switch listed in the Help that can be added to the startup executable to start AutoCAD Architecture without the Project Navigator, and I don't find any settings for this in Options.  Can it be done, or is PN so ingrained into the program at this point that it can't be killed?

Dan

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
DianneS
in reply to: Anonymous

In options, go to the AEC Projects Defaults tab. On the bottom left is a box you can uncheck.

Dianne

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: DianneS

>In options, go to the AEC Projects Defaults tab. On the bottom left is a box you can uncheck

Danger!  Bad Checkbox!  I was asking about starting AutoCAD without Project Navigator, not Project Browser, but the mention of Project Browser made me curious- I couldn't remember what that was, and thought it might be useful.  So I checked the box for loading it at startup (it was not checked before).  That was about 90 minutes ago, and I've just figured out how to get the program to start in a bare-bones configuration.  Another thread warns us not to check this checkbox if Windows XP Service Pack 1 is installed on our computer- it will cause crashing at startup.  It also appears to corrupt all existing Profiles; at least it did on my computer.

To get AutoCAD started so you can begin rebuilding, right-click over the desktop icon, choose Properties, and at the end of the Target string, replace whatever is inside the quote marks after the \p with <>

Since Profile <> doesn't exist, AutoCAD will tell you so, and will start, and create a new, bare-bones Profile called <>.  If your other profiles aren't corrupted, maybe you can make yours current and uncheck the box that attempts to start Project Browser at AutoCAD startup.

Oy vey.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

So far as I know, if you're loading a project, project navigator will always startup and you can't turn it off.  You can close the palette and it won't open up the next time you load ACA while the original project is still open. However, as soon as you switch projects PN will open up again.

If you don't have a projects open then PN won't ever startup.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Little light bulb- I remember a while back being told that Project Navigator could be set to not have any project active, and after doing that, it could be closed and would not reopen until it was told to reopen.  In Project Navigator / Project Browser, I'm looking for the way to set PN to no project.  Can't figure it out- how do I do that?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Correcting myself- it's AutoCAD's SP1, not Windows XP SP1 that is involved in this problem.

Dan

Message 7 of 9
DianneS

@Anonymous wrote:

>In options, go to the AEC Projects Defaults tab. On the bottom left is a box you can uncheck

Danger!  Bad Checkbox!  I was asking about starting AutoCAD without Project Navigator, not Project Browser, but the mention of Project Browser made me curious- I couldn't remember what that was, and thought it might be useful.  So I checked the box for loading it at startup (it was not checked before).  That was about 90 minutes ago, and I've just figured out how to get the program to start in a bare-bones configuration.  Another thread warns us not to check this checkbox if Windows XP Service Pack 1 is installed on our computer- it will cause crashing at startup.  It also appears to corrupt all existing Profiles; at least it did on my computer.

To get AutoCAD started so you can begin rebuilding, right-click over the desktop icon, choose Properties, and at the end of the Target string, replace whatever is inside the quote marks after the \p with <>

Since Profile <> doesn't exist, AutoCAD will tell you so, and will start, and create a new, bare-bones Profile called <>.  If your other profiles aren't corrupted, maybe you can make yours current and uncheck the box that attempts to start Project Browser at AutoCAD startup.

Oy vey.

Sorry for the confusion. The box is unchecked on my setup, and I suggested you "un"check yours if it was checked. The project browser is used to set your active project.

Message 8 of 9
DianneS

@Anonymous wrote:

Little light bulb- I remember a while back being told that Project Navigator could be set to not have any project active, and after doing that, it could be closed and would not reopen until it was told to reopen.  In Project Navigator / Project Browser, I'm looking for the way to set PN to no project.  Can't figure it out- how do I do that?

First, to clarify: The project browser is where you open and close projects. The project navigator lists the files in the current / open project. I believe what you are asking to do is to set the project browser where there isn't an open project. To do this, find the project in the project browser that is in bold, right click, and select "close current project". Once you do this, clicking on the project navigator icon will actually open the browser because there is no current project open, and no files to navigate.

Message 9 of 9
David_W_Koch

At the bottom of the Project tab of Project Navigator, there is an icon to close the current project.  You can click on that to close the proejct.  This will also close Project Navigator.

You can also open Project Browser, navigate to the current project, if necessary (the current project will be shown in bold type), right click on the project and chose Close Current Project from the context menu.  If you close Project Browser without making another project current, you will not have a current project.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost