AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should ACAD 2010 run slow on a machine that runs 3dsmax 2010 flawlessly?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
yiannisk
834 Views, 8 Replies

Should ACAD 2010 run slow on a machine that runs 3dsmax 2010 flawlessly?

I downloaded the trial version of Autocad 2010 to familiarize myself with the software.
My machine is running 3dsmax 2010 as well as other resource hungry software and high end games flawlessly.

Although ACAD is performing very very slow... Any ideas?

I have an nvidia 8800GTX card and 4GB RAM intel quad processor at 3.0 runing on XP SP3 with all latest updates.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: yiannisk

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Search around here for tips on speeding up ACA2010, but the program is not a
high-end game either. Also check Autodesk's site for drivers specific for
AutoCAD for your video card.

XP32bit is not utilizing your 4Gig BTW, only 3Gig, and is considered low end
for serious ACA users.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 9
yiannisk
in reply to: yiannisk

Obviously,
but the "oranges" in this case are more resource hungry. So it is surprising how the apples are asking for higher specs.

Unless you imply that mudbox and 3dsmax are less resource hungry than autocad, or have less complex real time rendering needs.

As for the drivers, i'm not going to ruin my rig to get ACAD tested on it. If this machine is not enough for it then it is not the right software for me.
I'll find some other solution.
Message 4 of 9

Sorry this is so long time comming and old, you posted earlier this year on this topic

For starters, don't listen to anyone who tellsy ou that 4GB of ram is lacking for serious AutoCAD users, they are just neive and falling for the hype. Even 3D modeling places the need for additional memory on the GPU, not always the RAM. Although it is helpful, it isn't always a requirment. You've got a powerul enough set up and it appears you have the same given driver issue and conflict with the nVidia card that sooooo many others have.

Your inquiry is valid. Although the questions is better suited as: Why is it that a software which ran flawlessly in previous versions on the same 32 bit operating systems is all of a sudden having issues and conflicts with drivers and performance? Only Autodesk can, but will not answer this for you. Much of their recent development is partnered with Microsoft based principles, the worlds number one enemy for customer satisfaction. You will find that many of these symptoms magically dissapear with a new OS, 64 bit of course, is installed. Granted the OS is faster and more capable at 64 bit, but it is also more resource hungry as well. Therefore its a catch 22, you should see no gains or better performance from the 64 bit but you do... I've discussed this with Autodesk Technicians and the like, to no avail. But everyone agrees on one thing... NO ONE IS LISTENING TO THE END USER ANYMORE.

Welcome to our world...

Message 5 of 9
DJNOS
in reply to: PlanOneArchitects

I am having 3d performance issues with AutoCad as well.

I have a Dell Precision Workstation M4500 that has:

Quad i7 core processor, 8G ram, NVIDA upgraded to 2G, Windows 7 64 bit.

AutoCad is very very slow when I am doing serious 3d drawings.  I can't even do the things I need the computer to do, such as photometric files.  NO ONE yet has been able to resolve this issue.  I'm seriously about to go with MAC.  I hate MAC but all these issues are driving me in that direction.

I did research on this and the general concensus is the NVIDIA vs Windows issues.  I'm assuming that's what is wrong with mine?

Message 6 of 9
pendean
in reply to: DJNOS

Hardware Discussion area might be a worthy location to re-post:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Hardware/bd-p/116

Message 7 of 9
DJNOS
in reply to: pendean

Thanks.  I posted there.  All I keep hearing is that my pc should run AutoCad very easy but it's not.  Very frustrating.

Message 8 of 9
pendean
in reply to: DJNOS

Win7 has a diagnostics Mode to boot into, see if you can repeat the issues while testing in that mode.

Message 9 of 9
DJNOS
in reply to: pendean

I tested in Diagnostic mode.  The issue is still there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost