AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Wall Component Cleanup Priorities- Method?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dbd63
1174 Views, 9 Replies

Setting Wall Component Cleanup Priorities- Method?

When building wall styles and configuring cleanup priorities for components, what is the methodology?  Do I sketch out a bunch of scenarios of various wall styles meeting each other at Ls and Ts and crosses and whatever, and then try to puzzle it all out: "if I set the outer airspace to 400, then when it gets to this T, the airspace will cut through the rigid insulation with its 600 priority, but will get cut through by the sheetrock with its 200 priority....".  That seems like a recipe for headaches.  So instead, do I just start from one side of a wall (the wall with the greatest number of components, I guess) and assign the lowest priority number (300, say) to the structural component, the highest number (1200, say) to the finish material component, and numbers in between for everything else, and then see how it works, tweaking by trial and error?  The table of priority numbers for various materials provided in the Help is useful, but I'd like to have a better understanding of how those numbers might have been derived, so I can do a better job of assigning my own numbers to components that don't appear in the list.

Also, if a wall type contains two components of the same material (I'm thinking of the layers of rigid insulation on either side of the concrete in an Insulated Concrete Foundation system), should those two components have the same priority number (probably not), or different ones (seems more likely)?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ntellery
in reply to: dbd63

type "wall componant" into help and it will come up with Default Cleanup priorities of wall componants.

It will give you a table of OOTB and recommended index numbers.  You can of course alter these but it's a great place to start.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 3 of 10
dbd63
in reply to: ntellery

I'm already using the table, as I mention above: "The table of priority numbers for various materials provided in the Help is useful...".  I'm hoping for some insight on this topic.

Message 4 of 10
ntellery

on your q about insulation I would say they should have the same number so they mesh when crossing.

It's about what they would do in real life.

One of the AU classes the guy showed his customised wall style library drawing and he had done what you suggested by drawing out every different wall style and then copying and laying them across perpendicular so you can readily see how each wall and each componant reacts.  Obviously you don't always get such neat situations but it seems a good way to work.

KISS.  follow the OOTB method until you need to adjust something and then note that back to your own chart.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 5 of 10
karolynz

I cannot find this evasive Cleanup priorities of wall components.  Where is it found please?

Message 6 of 10
dbroad

The default cleanup properties can be found in the ACA help. Search for "default cleanup".

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 7 of 10
David_W_Koch
in reply to: karolynz

This is the link in the ACA 2022 Help:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ARCHDESK/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-CFB380A0-837B-4199-91EF-006F072B0A4C

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 10
karolynz
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thank you for your help!

Message 9 of 10
karolynz
in reply to: dbroad

Many of my questions have me feeling rather foolish once I know the answer. Thank you for your help.

Message 10 of 10
dbroad

Better to seem foolish than remain ignorant or to leave the truth hidden.  Consider "The Emperor's New Clothes" and keep asking.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost