AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select reference file startup folder

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
tuomas.rantanen
466 Views, 1 Reply

Select reference file startup folder

When attaching a reference file (xref, attach dwg) the selection window starts from the place from where I've last time attached a file. I want it to start from the location of the file I have open at the moment. We have hundreds of project folders so favoriting or other similar methods doesn't work that well. 

I know it's easy to get the file path of the file I'm using but it still is a nuisance. 

Tuomas

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Not sure this will do what you want, but you might try setting the registry-saved system variable REMEMBERFOLDERS to 0.

When set to 1, AutoCAD will "remember" the last path used in each standard file selection dialog and use that as the default for a subsequent use. When set to 0, if you start the program by double-clicking on a shortcut item, the path specified in the "Start In" property of the shortcut will be used as the default for all standard file dialog boxes. (Previous is according to the 2014 Help.) The Help does not say what happens if it is set to 0 and the Start In property is blank, or what happens if you double-click on a drawing file to start AutoCAD (which I generally do not do, to assure that the proper ACA modules get loaded) or what happens when you open subsequent drawings. But you might want to experiment with it set to 0 and see if that works better for you.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost