AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Tag with Dimension Value

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
kwillems
397 Views, 6 Replies

Schedule Tag with Dimension Value

I'd like to apply a property set to a dimension, tag it, and have the tag display the dimension value.  This tag would be remote from the dimension, and on a separate layer, which would remain on when the dimension layer is frozen.

At present, the property set for dimensions appears not to include the dimension value.

Am I missing something here?

Presently using ACA 2011.

Thanks to all!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: kwillems

The dimension value does not appear on the list of automatic property sources for either AutoCAD dimensions or AEC Dimensions.  You might be able to use a formula property, in conjunction with the ObjectID property, to extract the dimension value, if that is exposed to VBScript.  I have never tried that with Dimension objects, and, unfortunately, do not have time to try right now (or in the forseeable future).

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 7
kwillems

Thank you, David!

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.  I will keep moving in the more cumbersome direction ...

It's interesting that the ObjectID might be leveragable to acquire the info.  I do not have the VBScript skills to do this, and, like you, do not have the time to study it.

KW

Message 4 of 7
David_W_Koch

Dimension objects have a property called Measurement that should contain the value being measured (length or angle).  (This would not, I believe, reflect any manually overriden value, just the actual value being dimensioned.)  It should be possible to retrieve that in a formula property.  If I have any success, I will post back.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Ran into a problem.  While I can create a Property Set Definition that applies to Dimensions, and add an ObjectID property to it, I cannot attach the Property Set to a Dimension object - the Add Property button remains grayed out.  If I make the Property Set apply to all objects, I can attach it, but then the ObjectID property does not populate.  Looks like I have hit a dead end.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 7
kwillems

Hi, David -

Thank you for continuing to look into this!  For the current project, I have just returned to doing it "by hand" (C&P the value to a manual tag ...).

It would be nice to put this into a Wish List, but doesn't seem like something that would be widely used, though it is puzzling that the dimension value isn't available for the Propety Set.

Thanks again!

KW

Message 7 of 7
Oldfozzy

I wanted to do a simmilar thing and found this

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2011/Use-fields-in-a-table-to-pull-dimension-text-for-cut-list...

See if it does what you want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost