AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale trouble when importing DWG from Rhinoceros to Autocad Architecture

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
OlofAntonsson
9349 Views, 3 Replies

Scale trouble when importing DWG from Rhinoceros to Autocad Architecture

This will be my first post on this forum, greetings all.

My issue at hand is; when importing a very basic 2d DWG file from (the NURBS modeling software) Rhinoceros, I find the correct scale is somehow distorted along the way.

While working in "Rhino", I use meters. That is, say I want to draw a line that is 5 meters, e.g. I simply type in "5" while using the line tool.

When opening the saved DWG file in Autocad Architecture, my intention is to use this software's capability of using a previously created very simple DWG line drawing - and use these lines to basically "convert" into walls (in which I can then easily place e.g. windows).

The exact command in Autocad Architecture of course would be right-clicking e.g. the "Brick-090"-wall icon under the "walls" tab, and selecting "Apply Tool Properties" -> "Linework".

However.

The walls (and doors, windows etc) created via this potentially very swift mode of work are obviously in this instance extremely out of scale to my aforementioned imported DWG file.

I am indeed a beginner in Autocad. I have thus far in attempting to resolve the issue tried to:

a) set the "annotation scale" to 1:1

b) used the "Utilities" -> "Drawing Setup Dialogue" to under the "Units" tab change "Drawing Units" from inches to millimeters

I will admit however I have little knowledge of what this actually does.

Any hints, clues and suggestions from you would be more than welcome.

Thank you

Olof Antonsson

Sweden

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

If your source file was drawn with one unit equal to one meter, you may want to change the units in ACA to meters, rather than millimeters.  Or, you may want to make certain that the Scale Objects Inserted From Other Drawings toggle on the Drawing Setup Dialog's Units tab (upper right corner) is checked.

If ACA is interpreting the Rhinocerous file as being unitless, rather than as being in meters, and you leave the ACA units set to millimeters, you may be able to get it to work if you go to the Options dialog, on the User Preferences tab, and, in the Insertion scale area, indicate that Source content units should be interpreted as meters when the units are set to unitless.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4

Thank you, Mr. Koch!

Of course, setting the units to meters while having imported  a DWG file created in meters ... appear to have solved the issue.

May I ask a follow-up question?

In your second sentence, you suggest that if keeping the units set to millimeters, I in the "Options" -> "User preferences tab" -> "Insertion scale area" set the Source content to be interpreted as meters.

Did you mean that litterally, or did you mean that I use e.g. ONLY meters or ONLY millimeters under both options?

Thanks again

Message 4 of 4

I meant that if you wanted to draw with one unit = one meter in Rhinocerous and then import the file into ACA and have millimeters as the units, and if the Rhinocerous file is being interpreted as unitless, you could set the import units for unitless files to be meters and the target drawing units to be millimeters.  That may only work when inserting the file, however, not when opening it.  Opening the file and setting the units to be meters, if the original was drawn with that intent, would probably be the best approach.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost