AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRUCTURAL CATALOG

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
info
1438 Views, 16 Replies

STRUCTURAL CATALOG

Hello All,

I'm using architecture 2014 and just recently (last two days) our strutctural catalog has stared crashing and I'm wondering if Windows 7 updates are causing the problem.  Has anyone else had any problems? It happens when accessing the catalog, not styles.

Robert Tweed

Antelope Valley Engineering

Lancaster Ca.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
David_W_Koch
in reply to: info

I am not having any problems with the Structural Catalog in ACA 2014.  Does it crash when you try to open it, or only when you try to generate a member style from one of the items in it?  If the latter, does it crash for all types of members (Imperial, Metric; Concrete, Steel, Timber)?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 17
info
in reply to: David_W_Koch

It's crashing when opening the catalog.

Robert Tweed

Antelope Valley Engineering, Inc.

129 West Pondera Street

Lancaster, CA 93534

(661)948-0805
Message 4 of 17
R_Tweed

David,

I recently installed Impression 3. Could that have an impact?

Robert

Message 5 of 17
mchristop

We are having the same problem that has started in the past few days.  We are using ACA2013.  I have installed ACA2015 but I have not started using it yet.

I have tried Rebooting. Didn't work.

I have tried replacing my profile. Didn't work.

I have tried Repairing ACA2013 install through Control Panel. Didn't work.

I have tried Swearing at my computer.  Didn't work.

I am reinstalling now and it is taking a very long time. I am about to try step 4 again...

Message 6 of 17
mchristop
in reply to: mchristop

I should clarify:

I can open the Structural Member Catalog.

I see that it is on Large Timber

As soon as I place my cursor over the catalog, it crashes.

Message 7 of 17
mchristop

I am still Re-Installing...

While I'm waiting I noticed dozens of Microsoft updates that installed on my computer 6 days ago.  One of which was 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 3. I am wondering if it could be related.

Is anyone else using Office 2007 with those updates?

Message 8 of 17
R_Tweed

A Windows 7 update (KB2962872) seemed to be the problem. I removed the update along with several others and everything is working fiine. I installed Internet Explorer 11 the other day which may have been the reason for the updates.  Not being positive about it I did a system restore back to that point which removed everything. I'm not big on reinstalling and reconfiguring software so this might be an option for you.

Windows 7

1. turn off automatic updates

2. control panel/programs and features/installed updates scroll down to microsoft windows.

3. remove the update listed above and or others from the same day.

Message 9 of 17
mchristop
in reply to: R_Tweed

You were definitely on the right track there.  It normally only takes me 5 minutes to uninstall and reinstall ACA2013 with my deployment script and profile.  So usually much faster than trying to figure out what is broke.  These Windows updates however break the ability to uninstall ACA, So I was unable to install ACA2013 and that was a bummer.  I also don't advise trying to install ACA2013 if you have already installed ACA2015.  I had to uninstall that too and the 26 other 2015 Suite apps that I had installed.

It was one or more of the 9 Windows updates that installed last week that was causing my issue.  I have to get some work done now and I don't have time to figure out which one(s).

Message 10 of 17
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: R_Tweed

Good Call!  I tested this in ACA 2014 and the same thing happened.  Removed update KB2962872 and it's back to working.

Thanks,

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 11 of 17
Victoria.Studley

Hello,

This is a confirmed issue that we are aware of. Currently the only solution is to uninstall the particular Microsoft update that is causing the issue. The same update is also causing similar issues with the Project Browser in AutoCAD Architecture and AutoCAD MEP.

Here are the two reference articles for the known issues:

Structural Member Catalog crashes AutoCAD Architecture or AutoCAD MEP

Project Browser crashes AutoCAD Architecture or AutoCAD MEP

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 12 of 17

Add Detail Component Manager to the list.  I suspect anything in ACA that uses the Internet Explorer engine to drive it will be affected.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 13 of 17
darrelldixon

This is a cumulative security update for windows that contains 25 critical security fixes. Our IT department is hesitant to uninstall it. Is there anything else that we can do? Can Autodesk at least pinpoint which of the 25 is causing the problems?

Message 14 of 17
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: darrelldixon

While we're waiting for Autodesk to report on the issue, update KB2962872  was suggested by Aven Engineering as being the problem.  I'm not sure how they pinpointed that update but that's the only one I uninstalled and it fixed the problem for me.  In addition the links in Victoria's post offer more information about the update and the potential problems that can be encountered.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 15 of 17
jdaulton
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

Greetings,

We had the Project catalog issue with MEP 2014 and the suggested fix was to remove the KB2962872 Windows update.  However, the issue still exist even after the removal of KB2962872.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 16 of 17
mchristop
in reply to: jdaulton

I am not sure if this is your issue, but:

Make sure that you hide the update after you uninstall it or Windows will install it again.

Message 17 of 17
jdaulton

No, that does not apply to my situation (sorry I didn't mention that) but I believe I have found the problem.  I just looked at the MS Security Bulletin MS14-037 which is mentioned in the solution and there are two other KB's (KB2929437 and KB2976627) that could cause the problem. KB2929437 is still installed so I will remove it and see what happens.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2962872

Also, I don't know how to link a reply from a different Forum post but here is a copy/paste that suggest the same:

Re: Autocad LT 2008 Has Stopped Working
08-12-2014 02:42 PM in reply to: cynthia.duarte

You're welcome!

I was hoping today (Tue Aug 12 ) that the new patches for Windows would resolve this error for us all however no it has not been corrected!

In the description of the KB there were two references to IE crashing and I was very much hoping this would resolve it but nope.

So there are now (2) new KB's which may update your msthtml.dll file causing this to fail again.

*NEW* KB2929437 and KB2976627 that updates mshtml.dll  to version 11.0.9600.17239 that will cause this again.

If the errors start again tomorrow it's due to these new KB updates...  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost