AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPACES bounded by PLINES that have a defined width - BUG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
FitzUS
318 Views, 4 Replies

SPACES bounded by PLINES that have a defined width - BUG

I've been doing a lot of work with spaces but as my CAD backgrounds are not made up of smart objects (walls,etc) I've been using polylines to define the boundaries.

I've noticed that if the bounding polyline has a defined width (PLINEWID >0)  the space generated will stop at the outside edge of the polyline and not the centerline.  This will affect the area calculations.  Another problem occurs if the polyline has arc segments.  The combination of PLINEWID and and arc can cause the space to self intersect which creates an error. 

Easy fix is to make sure all polylines have a PLINEWID = 0. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BillGlennie
in reply to: FitzUS

This is an interesting difference between the Space > Convert and Generate commands.  The Convert command uses the centerline of the polyline to define the space.  I believe that the intention of the Generate command was to treat the width of the polyline as the width of a wall between spaces.  So generating spaces that are bounded by polylines up to the nearest edge is appropriate if that is the case. 

Thanks for the report, but this does not seem to be a bug.

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
dbroad
in reply to: BillGlennie

Agreed.  That sounds like a feature.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 4 of 5
FitzUS
in reply to: dbroad

If that is a feature than it needs some refinement.

I am not able to upload files from work due to security concerns.  I've pasted a .jpg that shows the issue. If you wish I can post it from home, or email it to you directly.  It can be easily recreated if you have a pline with arc segments. 

The point at where it shoots off in a tangent is between two straight segments, but where it switches from edge to centerline it is preceded with an arc segment.  If the PLINEWID is increased the tangent will become larger and self intersect with the opposite side creating a space error.

I still say it is a bug and I encourage people to not use boundaries with polylines that have a defined width.

Untitled.jpg

Message 5 of 5
dbroad
in reply to: FitzUS

That does look buggy.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost