AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof issue

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
lukearh
525 Views, 6 Replies

Roof issue

1.How can I edit the roof in attached dwg to be like in attached jpg?

One option I think it would be to convert it to roof slab.

What is the disadvantage (if any) to convert ia roof to roof slab?

Can I create it in other way ?

2. In section 2, the first floor walls ends in 90 degrees angle at the roof. Can the walls be edited so that the joint line with the roof follow the roof slope?

Sorry if theese are dumb question, but I am in process of switching from Acad to ACA, and all the change in the process is not easy.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dbroad
in reply to: lukearh

See video.  Look into the gable option of the roofadd command.  Eventually you need to convert the roof to roofslabs but delay as long as possible.

http://screencast.com/t/BqlwVFJJA

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 7
lukearh
in reply to: dbroad

Thank you verry much.

Can you tell me though why do I have to convert it to roofslabs eventualy and what it is lodt with this conversion?

Also can you give me an answer regarding the 2nd issue - in section top ine of the wall joining the roof line.

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
dbroad

You lost me with lodt.

Roof objects are not styled.  If you want to show detail, edge styles, surface hatch, etc.  you will need to transition to roof slabs.  Roofs are easier to model and modify.  Roofs allow for quick preliminary design.  Certain editing operations like edge direction and roof slope are easy.  Others, like changing the plan configuration are very difficult. Roof slabs can be trimmed and mitered.

2. Not really. Its unfortunate but a limitation of the system.  Best advice: Don't worry about it until you want to detail.  Section/Elevations are intended for low detail level depiction.  Use the background elevation style and trace over them with  detail components if you want high detail.

Message 5 of 7
lukearh

lodt = lost - a typing mistake

I understand, thank you.

If it's not too much can I ask you to describe a little the process you mentioned in the end (Use the background elevation style and trace over them with  detail components if you want high detail)?

I understand what you are suggesting but I don't know the steps. 

thank you

Message 6 of 7
dbroad

First, the sections you have created have some utility as they are.  Primarily they work well as small scale building sections (1/4"=1'-0").  On those sections, you might consider creating detail callouts.  Detail callouts automatically create sections using the 2d Background section style.  They are used as a refererence background on which you create your details.

Alternatively, if the 2d background section style is already loaded, you can just select the section you have and choose the new style from the properties palette.  These section styles have non-plottable linework. (guidelines for details). See below.  Section using the 96 style on the left and the detail callout on the right (at 1/2"=1'-0")

sectionanddetail.png

Message 7 of 7
lukearh

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost