AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof and Roof Slab

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Bruce-T
1098 Views, 3 Replies

Roof and Roof Slab

I am drawing a house with a hip roof.  The roof has a overhang with fascia and soffit.  What is the best way to construct the components of the roof system.  Should the hip roof and the soffit with fascia to be one system or two separate systems?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Oilymo
in reply to: Bruce-T

Bruce,

Are you using roof slabs or the roof tool?  If you're using roof slabs then they are individual items assigned to the slab edge and therefore able to be treated separately (turned on and off).  I guess it also depends if the soffit and fascia details are uniform all the way round?  In the past I've used the roof slab profiles and also assigned a sweep to a wall style and used that (which very handy if your pitches differ as the soffit and gutter profiles when used on a roof slab don't like difference pitches, overhangs etc..)

You should also check out Nathan Ellery's website: http://ausaca.blogspot.co.uk/ as he is somewhat of a guru when it comes to roofs and in particular the roof tool.

Regards

Ben

Message 3 of 4
ntellery
in reply to: Bruce-T

Thanks Ben! Smiley Wink

BT  I've just placed a number of vid's on youtube to share the secrets on the roof object and I do intend to share how I 'decorate' the roof object which has no edge styles of itself.  The Roof Object is a great tool but it was created for ADT1 and then not touched since.  It's interface is powerful but not obvious and the object does spit the dummy at times.  You just have to know why!

I use pretty much soley the RO over roof slabs because doing residential work it's just so much more useful but the lack of edge styles needs to be overcome.  I learnt early that the edge styles on Roof slabs weren't going to do the job I needed anyway so I developed my own wall style for gutter,fascia,eave (wall style for eave is nice because the eave width can be adjustable and you can have many componants).  Some use structural elements successfully for gutters as well and SE's may have other advantages.  My eave is flat however if it were sloping like a US eave then the width thing in a wall style is not as much use. 

A seperate componant for gutter etc can be a positive as you have seperate control and can do tricky little wrap arounds without gymnastics to the roof slab edge style. I also didn't like how it only had 2 componants.  Often Gutter.Fascia and eave are different colours! (for rendering).

For gable ends I now use Structural Elements with componants for Barge, Flashing and eave (non adjustable).  They mitre together nicely.

I do lots of quick rendering and I like to decorate so I also have Structural Elements for ridge and hip cappings.  For tiles I have modelled tiles and then add to a SE style as a repeating block. Works very well and quick to apply.  Hope to add a video soon.

I'm not expert at Roof Slabs but you need to create your roof edge style using profiles. It's not that hard.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 4 of 4
Bruce-T
in reply to: ntellery

Thank you Ben.  Fantastic site entellery.  I am going to use your advice and the site.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost