AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Elevation Property

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Libbya
623 Views, 4 Replies

Roof Elevation Property

Can someone tell me what the roof elevation property relates to and why? Actually, I know that it is the initial insertion point of the roof baseline, but why doesn't it update with grip edited changes in the elevation of the baseline? See the attached file. The three x-lines converge on 0,0,0. The roof elevation is stated as 0. Obviously that property is meaningless. Considering the importance of roof elevations and making them meaningful, you'd think there would be some rhyme or reason to that property.

Andrew
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: Libbya

Does anyone else find it disturbing that the roof elevation property listed in the properties palette has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ELEVATION OF THE ROOF?

Andrew Message was edited by: libbybapa
Message 3 of 5
ldharchitects

It actually relates to the level that you reference your construct to.  The elevation then, is useful if you have multiple roofs at different elevations.  You may want them in the same construct so that you can merge them.  I am not sure how this differs from the plate height though.

Message 4 of 5
ntellery

Being a devoted Roof Object user I'm rather ignorant of roof slabs. It's always confused me and seemed to be defective.  OK I set the elevation at my floor level (as with the Roof Object) and then set my offset.  But then the elevation jumps up too?  On a RO the elevation represents the Floor level (of the RO as a whole), the edge height, the distance above that floor line.

I also don't like how a change in pitch alters the length. Real PITA for trying to set up slopes in a driveway etc.(slabs not roof slabs but the same issue if you change the pitch of a roof)

Hatch display is seriously weird too.  I generally have to alter the cut plane to be able to see hatching.

For residential work the RO can be a much more productive tool though it does have it's shortcomings (less than you thnk). 

Both objects are way overdue for some serious overhaul I'm hopeing soon.  I'm also panning for gold in my backyard!

cheers

http://ausaca.blogspot.com/search/label/Roof

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: ntellery

Good luck with the gold panning.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost