AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridge, Bardge Capping to roofs

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cddrafting
5721 Views, 2 Replies

Ridge, Bardge Capping to roofs

Can anyone advise as to the best way to do ridge and bardge cappings for a roof.

Does the roof need to be in slabs or a solid. ?

Chris
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: cddrafting

Nathan Ellery has blogged extensively on roffs in ACA.  I am not certain he has covered this topic, but it would probably be worth your while to have a look at what he has written:

http://ausaca.blogspot.com/

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3
ntellery
in reply to: cddrafting

Sorry I missed your post!  Roof's my favourite subject.

I haven't mentioned anything specific on the blog about how to do these quickly but I have developed tools to do this and they work really well.  For residential work I find slabs not very efficient and never resolved how to make the hips resolve correctly at the bottom corners (as edge styles). After that I haven't explored any more with slabs and stuck with my beloved roof object. So how to do ridges & hips, barges etc.

I have developed a series of Structural elements (as braces) that are easy to attach.  If you check out my blog or the customer gallery here to show what you can achieve quickly.  I did this because I always render and  these give that little bit of detail quickly that make the image look better. The Structural Style has a shape (why is a shape different to a profile??) assigned.  For tin roof I require a different 'shape' for each pitch and ridge and hip are different pitch (quite a math exercise to determine those). 

Obviously can do the same for a barge.  Mine has Capping, timber barge & soffeit lining in one structural object. 

For a tile roof, I modeled a typical hip tile angled it and added it as a repeating element to a structural object with a unique end tile at the bottom.  Once created it's quick to apply, looks great and can even be used in the CD's.  No need for different pitches for tiles - one does all.

Took me some time of fiddling to get it all setup and I have a few unique ideas about setting materials etc that NOW make it a quick exercise. 

If I can just get my mike working I will do some vid's for youtube!

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost