AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about tool palette in Architecture 2008

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dganezer
413 Views, 8 Replies

Question about tool palette in Architecture 2008

I am using the the tool palette to build exterior walls.. I have the wall as needed finished except for a limestine sill.  It is bullnosed and contoured.  How do I put the profile in the wall style so it looks correct?  Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
David_W_Koch
in reply to: dganezer

There could be several approaches to adding a profiled limestone sill.  One would be to model it separately from the Wall, using your choice of AEC objects.  If you want it to be integral to the Wall Style, then you would have to modify the Wall Style (or, as I would recommend, modify a copy of the Wall Style, so that the original remains intact and available for use in that file).  You would need to add a component for the sill, setting the appropriate location in the wall by setting offsets for the top and bottom of the component.  Then you would need to create a Profile to define the cross-sectional profile of the sill, and finally apply that Profile as a Wall Sweep to the added component.

The attached ZIP file contains an imperial units file in which the out-of-the-box Brick-4 Brick-4 Wall Style has been modified to add a Limestone Sill component to the exterior wythe, and had a profile applied to create a non-rectangular cross-section for the sill.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 9
dganezer

Thanks.  Is it possible you could save that down to 2008 (2007) format.  My computer doesn't support TrueView and I have no way to convert the file you uploaded to a 2008 (2007) version.

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
David_W_Koch

Sorry, I missed the "2008" in the thread title.  There is no way to convert the file I posted back to a previous file format with usable AEC content.  I recreated the Wall Style in ACA 2009, which you should be able to open in 2008, since both use the 2007 DWG format.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 9
dganezer

Thank you,

This is just what I am looking for.

David

Message 6 of 9
dganezer
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks. I did what you said, it worked out great. Now, I would like to know why it is not saving the adjusted profile when I drop it onto a different palette?

Again, you have been very helpful. Thanks

David

Sent from my iPhone
Message 7 of 9
David_W_Koch

Have you saved the source file for your new style to a "permanent" location, accessible to all parties that need to use the tool palette tool you are trying to create?

Are you creating the tool palette tool from that source file (either by opening it on your computer and dragging an instance to the palette or via the Style Manager?

I cannot say I have actually tried to create a tool for a Wall Style with a Wall Sweep, so it may not even be possible.  If I have time later tonight, I may try to do so in 2009 at home.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 9
David_W_Koch

The Wall Sweep is not part of the Wall Style, so it will not be part of a tool palette tool created from the Wall Style.  Even in the file where the Wall Sweep has been applied, if you use the WALLADD command to add another Wall of that style, the Wall Sweep will not be part of the Wall.

You can, however, select a Wall to which a Wall Sweep has been applied, right click, and choose Add Selected from the context menu.  Any Walls created as part of an Add Selected command will match the Wall Style of the selected Wall, as well as the Wall Sweep that was applied to it.  If you want to be able to add a Wall with a Wall Sweep from a tool palette tool, you could draw a short segment of a Wall with a Wall Sweep, make a Block of it, save that file as a source file (to a "permanent" location accessible to all who need to use the tool) and then drag the block onto an editable tool palette.  Now you can use that tool to insert that block into any other drawing.  Explode the block to get at the Wall segment within, and then you can edit that segment, or use Add Selected on it to draw more Walls with the Wall Sweep.  Not quite as slick as a Wall tool, but at least it provides a vehicle for using a tool to bring the Wall Style and the Wall Sweep into a drawing that had neither, and from there you can add more Walls with the sweep without having to apply the Wall Sweep after drawing the Walls.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 9
dganezer

Thank you, that was very helpful.

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost