AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper Space Dims Issue

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
CarrierSavard
432 Views, 5 Replies

Paper Space Dims Issue

ACA2012

The Office staff and I have decided to 'reinvent'/evolve the way we go about working lately. One of the things we've decided to change is the way we go about annotating our drawings. What we call 'Architecture' is in model space but everything else (text, notes and Dims) is now in Paper Space. This prevents us from dealing with annotations we don't want in other drawings (we use Xrefs alot).

In theory, we love this solution for multiple reasons. In practice it's a whole different story: A lot of my colleagues (most) have difficulties dimensioning their work. MAYBE 33% of every dims works (gives the actual dimension of objects in model space). So we have to get at least one dim to work and then copy it everywhere. This is getting frustrating fast!

A solution that worked for about 5 minutes was to regen the drawing before dimensioning. So obviously this isn’t much of a solution at all.

Dimassoc is always set to 2, and therefore should create associative dims, but sadly, they are not.

I have noticed that most of our issues come from dimensioning AEC objects (walls, doors, windows). It's as if ACA doesn't understand that AEC objects are actually in Model Space and consequently gives Paper Space dimensions.

If anyone has ANY clue as to what the problem might be, please don’t be shy.

Cheers!

Pierre P.

ACA 2012
Windows 7
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
3.4GHz - 8GB ram - 64 bit
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MarySeufert
in reply to: CarrierSavard

Hmmm, shot in the dark, but under the Object Snap Settings is the box checked for "Allow general snap settings to act upon wall justification line"? ~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 6
CarrierSavard
in reply to: MarySeufert

Thanks for the effort Mary,

Unfortunately, that option was already selected.

I'll keep trying and I'll keep you posted when I find something.

Pierre P.

ACA 2012
Windows 7
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
Message 4 of 6

Transpatial dimensions do not work with AEC objects properly.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 6
ntellery
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I've just done a project like that to see how it went and it was very frustrating as ever since ACA2009 updated the snaps and added 3Dsnaps, snapping to AEC objects has been hit and miss.  ACA12 just forgets what it's doing and snapping no longer works and this seems very occurent when dimensioning in paper space.  12 is better than 09 but they haven't yet worked it all out.

I am using std acad dimensions not aec ones.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 6 of 6

Precisely!

It works, but poorly. Which just exasperates the problems with dims in paper space.

We've put that strategy aside for now.

Why offer options that only work 'sometimes' ?

Hopefully, this situation will be revised in future releases...

Pierre P.

ACA 2012
Windows 7
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost