AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openings in walls

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Spaup20
455 Views, 5 Replies

Openings in walls

When placing an opening in a wall it always snaps to the center of the wall.  No matter if I change the offset/center settings to say, 6", it always snaps to the center.  Is there a setting that I'm missing that makes them snap to the center of the wall automatically?  When I insert a door and window and use the offset/center setting in the properties palette, it works fine.  It's just the opening command.  It's frustrating when I have to move it manually to the correct location.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
aghis_no
in reply to: Spaup20

When you choose the tool "opening" just before you click on a wall to position the opening, go to the properties window and you should find under "Location" group of options three options controlling the insertion method of the opening on a wall.

These options let you

1. choose if you want the opening to be placed according to an existing "Grid"

2. control the positioning according to the wall (in you case you should choose unconstrained to freely place the opening), and

3. offer the possibility to insert multiple openings?

Choose the desired options and then, just can go on and click on the desired wall so that you can position the opening according to the insertion method you chose.

hope it helps

regards

aghis

Message 3 of 6
David_W_Koch

@Spaup20 wrote:

When placing an opening in a wall it always snaps to the center of the wall.  No matter if I change the offset/center settings to say, 6", it always snaps to the center.[snip]

I can reproduce this for Openings in both ACA 2015 and 2014 (which was the first release to reunite the Offset and Center options into one choice, since they were separated in the 2011 release).  This looks like a bug to me; the Center/Offset option only honors the Center option.  Doors, Windows and Door/Window Assemblies work as expected.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 6
pothied
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I can also reproduce this and I have logged this issue with development. Hopefully they can provide a fix in an upcoming service pack.

David Pothier

Message 5 of 6
Spaup20
in reply to: pothied

Any word on a fix for this?

Message 6 of 6
Spaup20

nevermind

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost