AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One stair for multiple levels

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Jleibold
1374 Views, 3 Replies

One stair for multiple levels

Hello all,

Here is my dilemma...

I have a building with 2 levels & I have one stairwell.  My 2 levels are in a shell.dwg - (first floor level & second floor level).  I have a simple stair & landing, which is an element.  I insert that element into the first floor level.  Everything is fine there, but when I set up a view drawing with the shell (construct) & stair (element in construct) for the second level the stair is diplayed as if it is going up from the first floor level - I need it to show going down from the second floor level.  Is there way to show that with one stair?  What we have done in the past is to not have levels, 1 construct for first floor & another for second floor - creating a stair styles for each floor.  But when you do a model you have stairs on top of each other (not really using the software like we should).  So my question is how do I have 1 stair for 2 different levels & show it correctly for each level.  When I set my cut-plane height for first floor level - looks great, but when I set it second floor level - either it remains the same obviously or when I uncheck the override display config. in other on the display tab in the style the stair disappears.  I'm trying a new way of creating models/plans & I can't think on how to create the stairs correctly.  What am I missing in order to look correctly in plan view without making 2 stairs.

I hope I was clear enough - any advice is apprieciated....

Thanks Jeff

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: Jleibold

You didn't say what version of ACA you were using.  Several versions ago (maybe 2009) additional display configurations were introduced, including "medium detail intermediate level" and medium detail top level".  Stairs have display sets for each of these configurations that allow the stairs to be displayed appropriately for the level they're being viewed from.  From your view drawing right click on the stair and select "Edit object display".  When the dialog comes up check the box that overrides the display configuration and select the appropriate configuration.  You can always adjust the display in the source drawing if it's not to your liking.

If you happen to be using a version prior to when these additional display configurations were introduced you can always create them yourself.  Of course you'll also have to create display sets for the stairs to go with them by copying the existing plan set.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 3 of 4
Mike.Lamka
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

I have this same scenario and I'm working in ACA 2013.  Any way to avoid having to have 2 separate stair styles?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 4
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: Mike.Lamka

You shouldn't need two separate stair styles or in fact two separate stairs.  Set the stair as a spanning construct so it'll show up in views for either floor.  As needed override the display configuration for the construct in the view drawing to select a dispay config that shows the stairs as you want.  Typically I have my stairs set so they look fine on the floor they rise from and when viewed from above I right click on the stairs and choose "edit object display" and override the display configuration, selecting "medium detail top level" which I have previously setup to look as I want from that viewpoint.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost