AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie to Architecture: Layers not being assigned

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
grumpychick
848 Views, 5 Replies

Newbie to Architecture: Layers not being assigned

Unfortunately, in trying to get Architecture to work the way I wanted, yesterday it seems I messed a bunch of things up.

At first I couldnt get any toolbars (got em now)

Then I changed things and I had ZERO Architecture functionality (fixed that now)

However now when I create walls, roofs, windows doors etc, they do not get assigned their layers like they are supposed to.  They are on whatever layer is current (generally "0" as that is where I started from)

How do I fix it so that all Architecture objects get assigned the OOTB layers that they are supposed to be?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: grumpychick

1.  Application Menu (big "A" at upper left corner) > (Drawing) Utilities > Drawing Setup.

2.  Set the Layering tab current, if it is not already current.

3.  In the Default Layer Standard area, is the Layer Key Style set to Current Layer?

4.  If so, can you use the drop down to select a different Layer Key Style?  If so, choose one and see if that works for you.  (See below.)

5.  If not, does the Layer Standards/Key File to Auto-Import edit box (at the top) have a source file for Layer Standards/Layer Key Styles set?

6.  If not, use the browse button and try to find the appropriate file.  Your office may have a custom file set up for this; the out of the box file, when installed to the default directory, can be found here:  C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ACA 20xx\enu\Layers\AecLayerStd.dwg; substitute your version year for 20xx.  Your location may vary, for example, if content was installed to a network directory.  Older versions may have a slightly different default installation location.  (Windows XP locations will also be different.)  Note also that in Windows, the ProgramData folder is a hidden folder and you will have to tell Windows to show hidden folders (if you have not already done so) in order to see it in Windows Explorer or the file dialogs.

7.  With a source file set, you should be able to select from the Layer Key Styles defined therein in the Layer Key Style drop down.

8.  If none of the above works, post back and include any details on how ACA was installed on your computer.

Which Layer Key Style should I choose?

If you have a custom one for your office, use that one.  If you are using one of the out-of-the-box Layer Key Styles, then the appropriate one will depend on what version of ACA you are running and which layer standard you are using.  ACA 2015, as distributed in the United States, ships with the following:

AEC Title Case - NCS 256 Color

AEC UPPER Case - NCS 256 Color

AIA (256 Color)

BS1192 AUG Version 2 (256 Color)

BS1192 Cisfb (256 Color)

BS1192 Descriptive (256 Color)

DIN 276

Generic Architectural Desktop

STLB

You may have others, if you have localized content installed for an area outside of the United States.  The first three on the list are based on the US National CAD Standard (first two on version 5.0, third on version 3).  The next three are British standards.  DIN 276 and STLB are German standards.  In older versions, the Generic Architectural Desktop used to use the Layer Key as the layer name.  In 2015, it is slightly more developed.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
grumpychick
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Because I myself am a lil "deficient" shall we say in knowledge of Architecture, I'm not sure if that "fixed" it fixed it... but I think that works. 

It was indeed set to Current Layer, but there was nothing in the drop down to pull from (it said the layer standard file was "not found").  I do not believe it has anything to do with how Architecture was installed but in what I believe I did yesterday in trying to get things to work in a more "Autocad" freindly way.  In other words, I know just enough to be dangerouse.

Anyway, I imported a layer key style (AIA (256 Color)) from a drawing that I know works and that seems to have done the job.... at least well enough for now.

(in rechecking I learned that what I did was not a permanent fix but a bandaid.... but a bandaid works for now)

thanks.

Message 4 of 6
grumpychick

Ok  I know I said it was solved, but for the life of me I cant even get the "bandaid" to work now.

I have a funny feeling that it is pointing to the wrong folder for the ctb files 'cus when I type in "stylsemanager" it just opens my "My Documents" folder.

If that is the problem, where/how do I point it to the right location?

Message 5 of 6
David_W_Koch

On the Layering tab of the Drawing Setup dialog, there is a toggle at the bottom labeled "Save as Default".  If you get the desired source file set at the top, and then select the desired Layer Key Style in the drop down, you can check the Save as Default toggle and have those setttings become your new default when you select Apply or OK.  (You may want to check what is set on the Units and Scale tabs to make certain those are appropriate default values, also, prior to using the Save as Default toggle.)

If you are opening files created in vanilla AutoCAD, you may also want to check the Always import Layer Key Style when first used in drawing toggle.  If you are creating the files yourself, you should make certain that you are starting the files from a template file that is set up for use in AutoCAD Architecture.  The Layer Key Style does not have to be in the template file - it should auto-import if you have a source file set on the Layer tab of the Drawing Setup dialog, but it can have one and, more importantly, it should have your expected Display System settings in it.

Perhaps your Profile lost some key search path locations during your efforts to make AutoCAD Architecture more AutoCAD friendly.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 6
grumpychick
in reply to: David_W_Koch

>>>>Perhaps your Profile lost some key search path locations during your efforts to make AutoCAD Architecture more AutoCAD friendly.

^this is what I think happened.  I'm going to ask him to maybe run a repair install and hopefully that'll fix everything.  I'm also missing the little things like "aliasedit" and "txt2mtxt" so hopfully I can finally get it all up and running properly (note:  I really didnt care ~that~ much if it was uber acad friendly, I just didnt know how much I could mess it up by trying).  Ignorance isnt bliss.

Not a good way to introduce yourself the first week on the job 😕

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost