AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Sheet Sets sharing Same Layouts

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
archrise
9957 Views, 12 Replies

Multiple Sheet Sets sharing Same Layouts

I am in the process of generating a separate package which is a suppliment to the main package for a project. The sheets from the suppliment will be incorporated into the main project, but many sheets from the main project will not be included in the suppliment. 

My thought was to make a separate sheet set that shares layouts with the main set which I was able to do by making a copy and renaming the .DST file. Now I see that supposedly a single layout cannot exist in two sheet sets. I ended up working around this by creating a sheet in SSM with the same # and Name in each Sheet Set and was able to get them to appear in both. Want to find out if I'm creating a landmine of a problem down the road or if there is a better way to do what I'm doing. In the past, I beleive we simply selectively printed only the appropriate sheets but on that project it was cumbersome and at the scale of this project it will be worse.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dbroad
in reply to: archrise

AFAIK, you cannot share a layout between sheet sets.  You can save a copy of the layout and use that.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 13
archrise
in reply to: dbroad

dbroad - Thanks for the reply. I've seen this solution in my research however, the issue is that we are constantly making changes and updates to the various layouts. We certianly don't want to do things twice.

For the moment I can only think of selectively printing just the sheets are needed for the suppliment. Is there a way to make several 'print sets' within the sheet set manager?

Message 4 of 13
pkolarik

You could save a .dsd file with just the sheets you want in each printed set....

Message 5 of 13
jcp
Advocate

The best way to manage different drawing sets within a project is to use the Save Sheet Selection… option in the Project Navigator.

Select all the sheets you want in your package.

Right Click on one of the selections.

Select ‘Save Sheet Selection…’ from the pop up menu and name the selection.

When you want to re-select that package right click the top line of the sheet set folder tree and select ‘Sheet Selections’. There you will see your saved selections.

The down side to this method is once you save a selection you can’t add drawings to it (using the same saved name).

Message 6 of 13
archrise
in reply to: jcp

Sounds like an interesting option. I imagine these are these saved locally or would others in the team be able to access the saved sheet selections?

Message 7 of 13
jcp
Advocate

The Selections are saved with the project so all users have access to them.

Message 8 of 13
dbroad

Copying the sheet drawing doesn't really change the source of the content AFAIK.  Double clicking in the viewport and using xopen should allow you to change the model space for any shared files.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 9 of 13
cnewton

Another option would be to create subsets (right click on the top sheet group, New, Subset). Then move the supplemental sheets to that set. They will still publish using the publish option during this pahse. When you move to the next phase, change the subset properties ( right click on the heading, Publish, Publish Sheet in Sheet Set, Do not publish), so that they will not be included in that set. If there are sheets which need to be in the later set, drag them back to that set and they will auomatically be included in the published set. Once you have reached a point where no further changes will be made to the published supplemental set, print them as PDF and save them for record sets. The remaining work can continue to update without having duplicate cad files, which IMHO is really bad vodoo.

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Spillman Farmer Architects
Message 10 of 13
irishsnake
in reply to: dbroad

You cant share layouts but you can pull the same xref into views that are then pulled into two separate sheetsets layouts.

Message 11 of 13
mo.thao

YES THIS IS POSSIBLE.  It's kind of a cheat.  In order to do so, you must make a copy of your current sheet set into the same folder.  It will default to "Sheet Set Name - (Copy)".  Now rename the copy as desired (both in the windows explorer folder and upon first opening the new copied sheet set).  After this, you can delete any sheets you don't want and keep the one's you wish to be available in both.  Now you have two sheet sets that share the same dwg file layout.

Message 12 of 13
wufeng1740
in reply to: mo.thao

Best solution for me!!!

Message 13 of 13
TMEsteves

Hi,

My take on this matter, WITHOUT 3rd party apps, is to copy the layout and create a new sheet, then import the same file (in a different sub-set) and point it to the second (new) layout. You still have to update sheet properties, and it's manually operated, but for one-time or small jobs it does the trick...

Regards,

TME

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost