AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving profiles

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jhickeyERD
361 Views, 3 Replies

Moving profiles

Hello, I have some users that will be getting new laptops and at the same time transitioning from version 2010 to version 2013. 

Can someone help me undertstand what is involved with moving their profile?  Will that essentially mean all of their settings will be the same.  How is it done exactly?  I am not regular CAD user, but have it installed and would like to document out the steps AND set expectations.   Thanks!

John

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
leothebuilder
in reply to: jhickeyERD

On the current computer, select Options and on the Profiles tab, highlight the profile the user wants to "move" and select Export. Browse to a folder on the server somewhere it is avaible for the user to Import.

On the new computer, again select Options and on the profile select Import etc. etc.

Not sure how these profiles (.arg files) will export and import as you go from 2010 to 2013 version.

During the new install of 2013 you may be able to migrate settings if the laptops also have the 2010 version installed.

Message 3 of 4
jhickeyERD
in reply to: leothebuilder

Thank you for that info.  Typically when you export and import profiles, what  settings, etc are moved over with the new profile?   I understand there might be a complication because of the version change in my scenario, but what about normally?  Is it just like working on the same computer, all settings are duplicated on the target machine?

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
leothebuilder
in reply to: jhickeyERD

Generally the Profile has all the settings that you would normally have changed in the Options diaolog.

I normally don't bother with moving profiles as I would only change a few setting in Options.

If you have a lot of customization such as menus etc, they don't move with Profile export/import.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost