AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model space view cant be dragged into sheet

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
adibner
827 Views, 3 Replies

Model space view cant be dragged into sheet

We have had a reoccuring problem in autocad architecture 2012 where model space views can no longer be dragged into a sheet. It just shows a circular cancel icon.

The sheets are set up fine and it may even have several MSVs already in place then out of no where the ability is lost. We have tried allt he usual fixes (checked the layers, restored the .bak file, tried on other computers, installed service packs) but it seems once the file is "poisoned" the only fix is to recreate the sheet and delete the old one. Not a terrible solution but it is not efficient.

We have a dozen computers all with acad architecture 2012 and it seems to happen on random computers and we can't pinpoint any specific differences between them.

We did not have this problem with Autocad architecture 2009.

It could be something with the project database. Does anyone have any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dbroad
in reply to: adibner

Only time that has happened here is when there were duplicate file names or where the view was already part of another sheet set.  Even when files are in separate folders, they must never have the same name.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 4
adibner

We fixed it ourselves. Im posting to help others.

It relates to the xml file for the sheet drawing file. For whatever reason this file gets screwed up and some simple editing will fix it.

I edited the xml file name to match the sheet drawing file name (of course keeping the xml file extension) and i also edited the xml file itself (in wordpad) so the line <File Name="myfilename"> matched the sheet file name. Make sure you use safe HTML encoding such as ampersands are replaced by &amp; etc...

To recap: the sheet drawing file name (“myfile.dwg”), the xml file name (“myfile.xml”), and the text in the xml file (<filename=”myfile”>  should all have the same name.

Message 4 of 4
Libbya

I would like to thank you for this post.  The issue has given me fits and it is great to know how to resolve it.  

I would like to add info regarding the cause of the issue.  Apparently if a sheet is renamed within project navigator and the 'rename drawing file to match: sheet title' box in the bottom right of the window is checked, then the file is renamed, but the .xml file is not and the filename within the .xml file is not updated.  That's obviously a bug...  The solution, of course, is to make darn sure when renaming sheets that the little box is un-checked.  If the box is grayed out and checked, it WILL cause the issue and you cannot uncheck the box because you have the file open...  The file will be renamed and the .xml will not...  You need to close the file, then open the rename/renumber or properties, uncheck the box, etc...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost