AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metric Project Units

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
75ironhead
881 Views, 3 Replies

Metric Project Units

A client has requested that I use metric units for review at there corporate office in Holland.

What is the "standard" metric units format for architectural floor plans? meters, centimeter, millimeter.

I guess what seems odd is using just one format like a surveyor for example, 135.8 feet.

Is the standard architectural metric format just in centimeters? 4139.18 cm

Also do they use a suffix?

Thanks

Todd

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
leothebuilder
in reply to: 75ironhead

It's been a long time since I worked in Holland. The convention (then) was to dimension architectural floor plans in meters and centimeters. E.g. an office could have a dimension of 3.65 x 4.15 (meters)

Not often that you would have to use fractions of centimeters. After all, a centimeter is only approx 3/8".

Steel construction (or any other industry that needed tighter tolerances) would use millimeters.

Unless someone else has any other suggestions because of more recent experience, I would use millimeters as your autocad unit. Set out rooms at rounded measurements e.g. an office could be 3600 x 3600 (12 x 12 feet)

You can format your dimension style for either meters, centimeters or millimeters.

P.s. France and Holland were the first countries to adopt the metric system (courtesy of Napoleon)

Message 3 of 4
75ironhead

I ended up using meters with 0.00 precision and no suffix. I searched the web for quite some time trying to find a floor plan using metric system with no luck. The funny thing is, It was not only the dimensions but also annotation with fractional reference notes like 3/4 walls or 1/2 walls. I just did not want to come across as clueless as I am in these matters. If someone sent me a floor plan in inches I would probably get a good chuckle and my first impression would be less then appealing.

Thanks again

Todd

Message 4 of 4
leothebuilder

I think you're heading in the right direction as far as general architectural floor plans, sections, elevations is concerned.

Once you get to detailing it will probably be different.

E.g. a reference to 12 mm plywood (1/2" plywood) or something similar. You wouldn't use fractional meters.

Good Luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost