AutoCAD Architecture General

Valued Contributor
75ironhead
Message 1 of 4 (291 Views)
Accepted Solution

Metric Project Units

291 Views, 3 Replies
02-06-2013 07:25 AM

A client has requested that I use metric units for review at there corporate office in Holland.

What is the "standard" metric units format for architectural floor plans? meters, centimeter, millimeter.

I guess what seems odd is using just one format like a surveyor for example, 135.8 feet.

Is the standard architectural metric format just in centimeters? 4139.18 cm

Also do they use a suffix?

Thanks

Todd

*Expert Elite*
leothebuilder
Message 2 of 4 (274 Views)

Re: Metric Project Units

02-07-2013 07:17 AM in reply to: 75ironhead

It's been a long time since I worked in Holland. The convention (then) was to dimension architectural floor plans in meters and centimeters. E.g. an office could have a dimension of 3.65 x 4.15 (meters)

Not often that you would have to use fractions of centimeters. After all, a centimeter is only approx 3/8".

Steel construction (or any other industry that needed tighter tolerances) would use millimeters.

Unless someone else has any other suggestions because of more recent experience, I would use millimeters as your autocad unit. Set out rooms at rounded measurements e.g. an office could be 3600 x 3600 (12 x 12 feet)

You can format your dimension style for either meters, centimeters or millimeters.

P.s. France and Holland were the first countries to adopt the metric system (courtesy of Napoleon)

Valued Contributor
75ironhead
Message 3 of 4 (266 Views)

02-07-2013 07:58 AM in reply to: 75ironhead

I ended up using meters with 0.00 precision and no suffix. I searched the web for quite some time trying to find a floor plan using metric system with no luck. The funny thing is, It was not only the dimensions but also annotation with fractional reference notes like 3/4 walls or 1/2 walls. I just did not want to come across as clueless as I am in these matters. If someone sent me a floor plan in inches I would probably get a good chuckle and my first impression would be less then appealing.

Thanks again

Todd

*Expert Elite*
leothebuilder
Message 4 of 4 (260 Views)

02-07-2013 08:28 AM in reply to: 75ironhead

I think you're heading in the right direction as far as general architectural floor plans, sections, elevations is concerned.

Once you get to detailing it will probably be different.

E.g. a reference to 12 mm plywood (1/2" plywood) or something similar. You wouldn't use fractional meters.

Good Luck

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community