AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masking Callouts

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
crazygreek10
2339 Views, 21 Replies

Masking Callouts

Hello all,

I am trying to create a masking block for our section tag.  When the scale of the drawing changes, the tage changes but the line that connects the two tages does not get hidden.

CALLOUT-96

Callout-96.JPG  

was drawn originally ......

CALLOUT-192

Callout-192.JPG

is when I switch the drawing scale to 1/16.  (note line sticking out thru bubble) I don't want to create two seperate tags on two different layers, figured I could just add a mask to the tag.  Any thoughts.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
hkatic
in reply to: crazygreek10

I thing that is easier redifine base point of block, but in that case you need 4 diferend blocks. One for horizontal left, one for horizontal right, one for vertical up an one for vertical down. If you use tool palettes this is not a problem.  

Message 3 of 22
R-Arch
in reply to: hkatic

That is what I am trying to avoid is having four different blocks.  I have been looking online for a tutorial on how to build a masking block and have not had much luck with that.  The key is to have one block that just masks everything under the circle of the tag due to the scale auto changing the size of the tag.

Message 4 of 22
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: R-Arch

You could try making a masking AEC polygon as part of the tag, making sure the draw order of the polygon is set to behind before you create the block.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 5 of 22
R-Arch
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

John that's what I was trying to do, but it has been so long since I've done one I can't remeber how it is done.  We have all of our callout tags in one drawing that I have added to the tool pallets.  So I am not sure of the exact process.

Message 6 of 22
hkatic

Look dwg and see if this is ok for you. Its not finish but if this satisfies you we can do some modification. 

Message 7 of 22
R-Arch

hkatic,

I'm not seeing the mask, if it's there it's not cover the line.

Message 8 of 22
hkatic

Just set block bring to front...and I will see how to automate that.

Message 9 of 22
R-Arch

That's exactly what I am looking for.  Only coment that I have is when I draw another object thru it I have to repeat the proccess of bring the tag to front.  If I have to live with that I can.  No to the symantics.  How did you do that?

Message 10 of 22
hkatic

I will try figuret out how to keep block in front. I create poligon with 1024 sides and then from that poligon I make wipeout, because you can`t make wipeout from circle. 

Message 11 of 22
R-Arch

Can A masking block be used.  I've used the wipe out tool before and had some issues when printing DWG that were converted into PDF.  The wipeout always black thing out. on the print.

Message 12 of 22
David_W_Koch

A Mask Block will only mask AEC objects, not the polyline generated by the section callout. You would also have to attach the Mask Block to each AEC Object, for each Display Representation you want masked, individually.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 13 of 22
R-Arch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David,

Can't I turn the tag into an AEC object to then attach a masking region to it.  What would you recommend.  Hkatic recommendation would work I am more concerned with how bad the software would slow down with all the different wipeout's.  I am open to different solutions.

Paul

Message 14 of 22
John.W.Mumaw

I too have problems plotting to some devices with a mask.  That's why I suggested a masking AEC polygon.  They seem to do fine, masking any entity and, I at least, don't have any problems with them printing dark or with a border.  Draw order, however, still applies.  I'll try to post an example later today.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Message 15 of 22
R-Arch

John,  Thanks for the post.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I just can't remember the process to make an AEC object like a callout and add a masking region to it.  I've done it in the past but it was about 5 years ago when I set up the office templates.  Autocad took a backseat for a bit while we tried to set-up Revit in our office.  That didn't go over so well so now I have to support both software.  It's like tabbing from Autocad to Sketchup and trying to use the key stoke commands.  LOL  at any rate if you guys have a step by step tutorial that would be great.  I currently have all of our callouts in the same drawing file as blocks that our referenced into a single tool pallet.

Any examples, thoughts, procedures would be great.

Thanks again in advance to everyone who has helped.

Paul

Message 16 of 22
John.W.Mumaw

Hi Paul,

Here's an example using the OTB section line A2T.  If the block (in this example) Anno_Section_A2 exists in your file beforehand then whenever the callout requiring it is used, the masking tag will be used.  To make this block I simply edited the Anno_Section_A2 block that was inserted when I executed the section tool.  I created a circular polyline to line up with the tag circle, converted the polyline to a AEC polygon by right clicking on the AEC Polygon tool and selecting "Apply tool properties to closed polyline".  Then I select the polygon and change it's style to a masking polygon.  Next move the polygon to the rear using the draworder command.  Exit the "Edit block in place" command and you're done.  I'm not sure if the AEC polygon tool exists on the tool palettes OTB but it's in the stock tool palette and I keep a copy on my Annotation tool palette.  The easiest way to get the masking polygon style into your drawing (if it's not already there) is to use the "Cut Line" tool from the Annotation tool palette.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Tags (1)
Message 17 of 22
R-Arch

John....

ABSOLUTE GENIUS

.....That was the easiest thing ever.  Just have to make the line of the mask super thin and we are good to go.  Great fix.

I'll let you know Monday when I pint the set out.

Thanks again.

Message 18 of 22
John.W.Mumaw

Glad I could help.  Since AEC polygons have styles, you could fine tune things to make the border of the polygon on a non plotting layer.  Or better yet create a copy of the masking polygon style first and use that so there's no conflict with other uses of the masking polygon style.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Message 19 of 22
R-Arch

I got your first suggestion which makes sense.  On the second suggestion you are referring to if the masking polygon style is used in a different application so the two are independent.  Right.  Pretty sure I got it.

Message 20 of 22
John.W.Mumaw

Right.  In general I think it's a best practice not to edit the OTB content and styles but to create your own.  It just makes it easier to move your content to new versions, rather than having to go through and re-modify all of the OTB content and styles that you've edited in the previous version.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost