AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MLEADERS AND TAGS

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
FitzUS
1526 Views, 7 Replies

MLEADERS AND TAGS

I have create a TAG (Mviewblock with attributes linked to property set data).  They work fine, reading the extended entity data that I've attached to hatch patterns, but I would like to add leaders.  Ideally the leaders would be smart enough to know their location to feed the data to the TAG attributes so if the leader head changed location the attributes would update.  However, I can't even get a simple leader attached to TAG.

I've tried the MLEADER options and can get a leader to attach to a BLOCK but not an MVBLOCK.  I keep getting an invalid input error when specifying the block name.  Initially it would not accept block names if the BLOCK had attributes but my workaround was to to get the MLEADER linked to the BLOCK then redefine the BLOCK to add the attributes.  This however only gives me a BLOCK with attributes not a TAG (MVBLOCK).

Can someone provide me with some guidance to get MLEADERS connected to TAGS (MVBLOCKS)?

Thanks,

Tom

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MarySeufert
in reply to: FitzUS

Don't have the time to go in depth today, but take a look at how wall tags are put together. They are inserted with a leader attached.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 8
FitzUS
in reply to: MarySeufert

I thought of that too but when I use the AECRIBBONTOOL named Wall Tag (Leader) I get an error box stating "The tool cannot be found in the current workspace"

Message 4 of 8
David_W_Koch

Try using a Wall tool from a Tool palette (or directly from a catalog in the Content Browser) instead. The leader that gets placed will not function the way you describe. It is "ornamental" - moving the leader end will not re-anchor the Schedule Tag to another object. Nor will re-anchoring the Schedule Tag to another object move the leader.

As for the failure of the ribbon-based tool, the AEC tools on the ribbon do not, in and of themselves, contain the information needed to place the AEC Content, but instead reference a Tool palette tool via the AECRIBBONTOOL command. Your current Workspace must be missing the out-of-the-box Tool palette on which the referenced tools reside. (It need not be visible in the current Tool Palette Group, just available in the Workspace.) You can read more on that here, if you are interested:
http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2009/06/autocad-architecture-2010-ui-changes.html

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 8
FitzUS
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Here is my drawing where I am trying to put TAGS anchored with MLEADERS.  It would be nice to have them connected for ease of use.

Thanks,

Tom

Message 6 of 8
David_W_Koch

Multi-Leaders can be associated with a Block, but not a Multi-View Block. The Tag Tool will allow you to add a Leader to a Multi-View Block Tag, which remains associated with the tag, but not a Multi-Leader.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 8
FitzUS
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks David-

I did not notice the TAG tool property lists "Leader Dimension Style" not MLEADER style.  I was getting frustrated that it would not list the MLEADER style despite the fact it was present in the drawing.  I realize now I need to make an "old school" dimension style just for TAG tool leaders.

I think I've got it dialed in now except one thing.  As for this exercise I need to but the leaders/tags on varying layers is there a way to specify the current layer as the layer key?   If not, I can just reassign them after placing them.

Tom

Message 8 of 8
David_W_Koch

Ordinarily, there is not a way to get AEC objects to go to the current layer (other than setting the current Layer Key Style to < Current Layer >. But since you are dealing with Multi-View Block Tags here, there is no built in Layer Key that applies (unlike WALL for Walls, DOOR for Doors, etc.). If you set the Layer Key in your tool palette tool to "--" (without the quotation marks), the leader and the Multi-View Block Schedule Tag will be placed on the current layer.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost