AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost the xref pallet / dialog box

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
jburris60
47754 Views, 23 Replies

Lost the xref pallet / dialog box

I use 2013.  The xref pallet was docked but has disappeared.  Also, when I type 'xref' at the command line, the xref dialog box does not appear. How do I get them back?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
pendean
in reply to: jburris60

off-screen perhaps? reduce AutoCAD/ACA from full screen in Windows (do not minimize it), then toggle XREF on and off a few times and see if you notice anything popping on/off at the edges of your monitor.
Or did you recently change from a dual-monitor setup?
Message 3 of 24
jburris60
in reply to: pendean

Got it back! Thanks for the info. It was lost off to the right. But in
release 2013, I don't have a good way to toogle on/off. I spoke with a
gentleman on the phone who had the second part of the fix. He sent me to
the CUI (Customize User Interface) box. I hit 'Current', 'Pallets' and
then 'External Reference'. Once there, I changed the location from 'Right'
to 'Floating'. This brought the dialog box back.

Thanks again,

*Mr. Jim Burris, LEED AP*

*Lamson & Condon Architects*

151 N. Delaware Street, Suite 151

Indianapolis, IN 64204

Wk: (317) 266-9830

Fx: (317) 266-0468

Mb: (317) 626-0887

Em: jburris@lamsoncondon.com
Message 4 of 24
TomBeauford

Thanks jburris, in one workspace the palette was Off and in another the location was set to Right.  Set them both to On and Floating and I have my dialog box back.

Thanks again,

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter
Message 5 of 24

What finally worked for me was to create a new workspace from the default 2D Drafting and Annotation space I was using by hitting Save As, then switch back to the default space.  The workspace I created still has the missing XREF manager, but that's okay, I can just delete it now.  Weird bug.

Message 6 of 24
joe
Community Visitor

2016 Autocad MEP I have lost the xref pallet. Same as below I type in XREF and is does not come up. I turn it off and on But I dont see it anywhere. any other ideas?

Message 7 of 24
David_W_Koch
in reply to: joe

Welcome to the community!

Did you try using the CUI (Customize User Interface) command, and changing the orientation of the External References palette in the current Workspace, as noted above?  Also make certain that the Show property is set to Yes.

The name of your current Workspace will be different that shown below; select the one that has " (current)" appended to the end of the name.

CUI_CurrentWorkspace_ExternalReferencesPalette_Orientation.png

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 24
Rex1054

To David Koch 4 years or so later THANK YOU! (11PM with deadline tomorrow & xref pallette disappeared...It's a little different in 2017 but it worked.

Message 9 of 24
aaron
in reply to: Rex1054

David, thanks from 2018. Yes this problem still exists

Message 10 of 24
mzareicad
in reply to: David_W_Koch

thank you. that was the most reasonable solution I found with excellent presentation. thank you for the time and effort your put. very much appreciated. I had it on the civil but as I switched to map it would disappear on my but now I got it back thank you for your nicely done resolutions. bravo

Message 11 of 24
mikaeldanik

Thank you!

Message 12 of 24
bchoiP9JBD

Fantastic!! It is almost 2020, and I am using 2018 version, and yet it still works!! 

Thank you

Message 13 of 24
scott
in reply to: bchoiP9JBD

I'm using 2020 and this is still a problem. I cannot believe that the xref manager can be set to be invisible. What the actual **** Autodesk. The amount of productivity I loose to stupid stupid things like this is unreal.

Thank you for posting this solution, you've made my day a lot better.

Message 14 of 24
mhathorne
in reply to: scott

If you have lost the pallet between two monitors, unplug the secondary monitor where the pallet was lost (the monitor not showing your CAD file). The pallet will appear. Plug the secondary monitor back in. Fix time: 10 seconds. 

Message 15 of 24

Thank you very much for your help!  Your solution worked!

Message 16 of 24

5 years later, this still works like a charm.

Thanks a lot!

Message 17 of 24

quick question:

structural cadworks doesn't show the xref palet 

any sugestions?

Message 18 of 24
koolinour

Thank you very much

Message 19 of 24
nancronw

I tried this & when I hit the 'Accept" button, I again got the "Fatal Error" message.  Is the fact that I am using the 2912 LT version & have Windows 11 the problem?

Message 20 of 24
pendean
in reply to: nancronw

@nancronw wrote:

...Is the fact that I am using the 2912 LT version & have Windows 11 the problem?

LT2012 in Win11? I suspect it is so, you are two Windows versions beyond the ones LT2012 is designed to run in 

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirement... 

pendean_0-1688415210558.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost