AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Excel file to AutoCAD

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2662 Views, 6 Replies

Link Excel file to AutoCAD

I have a simple excel spreadsheet that calculates our lighting loads and I want to insert it into my CAD drawing. I've tried data linking, paste special, etc. but nothing seems to work.

- I want the file to update in CAD when we change the excel file (or prompt to)

- I want the inserted excel file to take on the formatting of my table style (text style, size, etc. )

- I don't want the table to be editable in CAD

Please let me know if this is possible and what I am missing.

THANKS!

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Explore OLE Linking in AutoCAD's HELP files if you want your options: I believe the chapter is called Link And Embed Data, Overview of Object Linking and Embedding.
Also look up a Chapter called LINK A TABLE TO EXTERNAL DATA.

TABLE, DATALINK, DATALINKUPDATE, INSERTOBJ and OLELINKS commands too.
Message 3 of 7
Mike.Lamka
in reply to: Anonymous

In excel, highlight the cells you want and hit ctrl+c.  In autocad hit paste special and select the 'Paste Link' option and then select 'microsoft excel worksheet'.  it will also update that cell range whenever you update the excel file.

Message 4 of 7
NJfire305
in reply to: Mike.Lamka

What do you do if your "paste link" bullet is greyed out????

Message 5 of 7
Mike.Lamka
in reply to: NJfire305

The only time i've seen it grayed out is when i tried to see if it would work with Open Office.  As long as you're using MS Office 2003 or newer then it should work.  What version of AutoCAD are you running?

Message 6 of 7
NJfire305

I am working in v2012. However I just figured out what was happening. The excel file I am using is a file from one of our consultants. I realized after I posted first that the excel file was locked from editing. I could straight copy and paste from the file into Autocad but I could not paste link it. Once I realized  the potential issue I clicked the "enabled editing" button in excell and tried to copy / paste special again and voilà it worked, the paste link was available to me.

Message 7 of 7
rwalker

Do you know what Ts is in 2018 Autocad it doesn't give me the option for excel anymore?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost