AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lines disappear when view is attached to sheet

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
justingautreaux5527
976 Views, 9 Replies

Lines disappear when view is attached to sheet

I am having a problem with my window sills disappearing once I have attached the view to a sheet.  The window sills are visible in the constuct and view but once it is attached to a sheet they disappear.  Does anyone have any insight on why this is happening? 

Thanks,

Justin

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Justin and welcome to the forums. Below are some thing to check:

• Verify each drawings Display Configuration. If the drawings don't match, make them. Or if this sheet is supposed to be different, add the sill display to the appropriate display rep.
  • Check out the Cut Plane settings.
  • Are the sills on a specified layer that is frozen/off?
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply. All three drawings match (construct, view and sheet) in regards to cut plane height and display configuration. One thing I have noticed is that if I turn the “above cut plane” on in display properties of the wall style, then the outline of the sill appears on the sheet. This just seems odd to me, maybe I am over looking something.

Thanks,

Justin
Message 4 of 10

Do you use the same template file for the Constructs, Views and Sheets?  If not, it is possible that even though the Display Configurations have the same names, the underlying settings may be different.  Even if you use the same template file, if someone tweaked the settings in the Construct and/or View files to get the sill lines to display initially, the Sheet files may still have the old settings.

The sledgehammer approach would be to open the View or Construct file that has the desired settings as well as the Sheet file, then open the Display Manager and, in the left sash, drag the Representations by Object folder under the drawing with the correct settings and drop it on the drawing that does not have them.  Then do the same for the Sets folder, and finally for the Configurations folder.  NOTE:  These operations move a lot of data, and, particularly for the Representations by Object folder, you will experience a rather long delay while the data is being read, until you can complete the drag and drop, so be patient and expect to have to hold the left mouse button down for a significant period of time.  The other two are a lot quicker.

The surgical approach would be to first determine how you are showing your sills.  Are the sill lines flush with the outside faces of the Wall in which the Window is placed, or do they project?  If the former, the lines could be the Wall Below Cut Plane component, they could be one of the components in the Sill Plan (or Sill Plan Screened) Display Representation for Windows, or they could be both (you will likely see the Sill Plan component linework on your screen, but if they plot differently that those lines should, it may be the Wall Below Cut Plane component adding its (heavier, out-of-the-box) two cents.  Once you know what component is needed, you can check the settings for that component in your Sheet file, to see if the settings match and, if not, make them match.

If different settings in two different templates are the culprit (as opposed to end user editing after the files were created from the templates), then you will want to get the display settings to match between your template files to reduce the likelihood of having to deal with this issue in the future.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 10

David,

Thanks for the explanation. I found the culprit in the Display Manager. The “sill plan” box was not checked for “door/window assembly” under the display representation control in the sheet file.

Thanks again,

Justin
Message 6 of 10

Sorry

In my opinion there is an easier way - to synchronize data with the standard

2014-04-30_18-33-28.gif

Message 7 of 10

I don't think I fully understand the synchronized data.  But it probably is the solution to my problem.  I am having another issue with my sheet displaying something different than the view, once the view is placed on a sheet.  If you have any more insight I am all ears.

Thanks,

Justin

Message 8 of 10

In your previous posts, you use the terminology (construct, view, sheet) of the Drawing Management feature (Project Browser and Project Navigator).  Assuming that you are using the Drawing Management feature, you can, as VitalyF pointed out, take advantage of the Project Standards feature that is part of the Drawing Management feature to establish a standards file for Display settings and then synchronizing all of your project files with that Standards file.  That would save the bother of manually updating each errant drawing file using the method that I had suggested.

At some point, you will want to get all of your template files to have the same Display settings as the standards file.  That way, newly created drawings are already in compliance, and the only thing you would have to use the Project Standards synchronization for is if, for a given project, you decide to make revision(s) to the settings established in the template files.

The online Help has a large section devoted to Project Standards.  If you are interested in pursuing this, I suggest that you start by reading through the material there.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 10
Keith.Brown
in reply to: David_W_Koch

As David pointed out if you are using the Drawing Management Feature then you can use the project Standards.  I thought I would just reiterate this and say that if you do NOT use the Drawing Management Feature (and alot of firms do not) then the project Standards synchronization feature is not available.

Message 10 of 10

Keith,

Thanks for your interest in my problem. We have found the Drawing Management Feature to be very useful. My problem is the person who originally set everything up isn’t employed here anymore and now I have found something he adjusted from the out-of-the-box template and don’t know how to fix it. I am in a time crunch with the project I am working on now so I don’t have a lot of time to devote to customization editing. I have found a work around that will due for the time being.

Thanks,

Justin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost