AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag after Picking an Object

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
bdhamilton
8589 Views, 23 Replies

Lag after Picking an Object

Lately I've noticed a lag after picking an object where my crosshairs freeze and I'm unable to continue.  This lasts for a fraction of a second up to 5 seconds or more.  IT seems to happen most when I select a hatch object.  Any ideas of what is causing this?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
rellison
in reply to: bdhamilton

Try setting system variable HPQUICKPREVIEW = OFF?

Message 3 of 24
bdhamilton

Thanks for the reply.  That system variable was already set to "Off" on my machine.  I'd hate to think of how long a lag I would have if it wasn't.  Any other suggestions?

Message 4 of 24
sam.chan

Hi,

Would you please post a drawing that has this issue if convenient?  We will look into that.

Thanks,

Sam

AutoCAD Architecture team

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 24
Oilymo

Has there been any advance on this issue?

I've also noticed a delay when selecting items.

Thanks

Ben

Message 6 of 24
amason43
in reply to: Oilymo

Having the Properties Palette open can cause this.  Close it and see if the lag goes away.  As mentioned, hatch takes some time, and I've noticed dimensions cause quite the lag as well.

Anthony Mason - CAD/BIM Manager
Nichols Melburg & Rossetto Architects + Engineers
Blog: Daily Occurrence
AutoCAD Architecture 2008 SP2 / Revit Architecture 2011
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 / Google Chrome
Message 7 of 24
lfield

have the same problem selecting a dimension with the properties tab open. lags up at the arrow 1 and arrow 2 icons.

is there a fix for this? its HIGHLY annoying.

(other than leaving properties closed, which I dont think is a fix)

Message 8 of 24
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: lfield

A workaround is to leave the "Lines and Arrows" section collapsed.  You'll have to do this once for every type of dimension entity.  Of course you'll have to expand it to make any edits, just remember to close it when you're done.  Not a fix, obviously, but it speeds things up while waiting for it to be fixed.

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 9 of 24
lfield
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

.... thanks for the tip!...

Message 10 of 24
Mike686
in reply to: lfield

i to have this problem, and its only with autocad 2010 and 2011, the lag isn't there in 2008

i really really wish someone could fix this cuz i use the properties palette a lot and its anoying!

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Product Design Suite 2017
Message 11 of 24
Westhills
in reply to: Mike686

Just living with this issue and was checking to see if anyone had a real solution for this. Cmon Autodeskers, lets get it right shall we. Perhaps hire some game developers. They seem to know how to make things work. There is abviously a gross problem here that has existed for a long time.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 12 of 24
joe1979

I'm having the same problem in AutoCAD 2009. Its always done this with dimension objects which I've learned to live with but now it happens with everything. What's really annoying is that it does it even when i already have items selected. For example: Select a circle. Wait. Select a another circle. Wait some more.

Update:

It even does it when items are de-selected. For example: Select a circle. Wait. Select a another circle. Wait some more. Hit ESC. Wait again.

Message 13 of 24
jgkerns
in reply to: joe1979

I have the same lag issue. I suspect it may have something to do with the xref files we receive from other companies.  It will be a problem systemic to a given project. Fortunately, most of our projects do not suffer this problem. I am using AutoCAD 2012, and have also experienced this issue with every release since 2008.  I am currently running Windows 7 Professional on a quad-core Xeon @ 3.2GHz, with 12GB of RAM. I turned off all Aero effects long ago, having discovered that this has a dramatic improvement on lag experienced when using Object Snap and Object Snap Tracking (switch the Windows theme to Windows 7 Basic, for those who haven't tried this).

Approximately a half-second after I select an object (text, line, simple block... I have not noticed any pattern to this), my computer will lag for a moment (often about 2 seconds).  Intermittently, it happens after panning or zooming. It often happens when hitting ESC to clear selections, as well. Turning off the Properties pallette, turning on hardware accelleration, and all the other remedies proposed in this thread have not helped.  Purging and auditing the drawing and its xrefs also has not helped. Selecting a second object after experiencing lag does not result in another bout of lag.

When the lag occurs, the Windows Task Manager performance monitor shows one CPU core nearly maxxing out for the duration of the lag.   When selecting a second object and not experiencing lag, CPU usage does not appreciably increase (I say this, because zooming, panning, and even simply moving the crosshairs about also dramatically increases CPU usage for the duration of the activity).

After further experimentation, I discovered that closing the Design Center and Layer pallettes, leaving only the custom Tool Palletes and Properties pallette open, has mitigated the problem.

-Justin

Message 14 of 24
jcp
Advocate
in reply to: jgkerns

Do your xreference drawings have a large number of Layer Filters. I have had lag problems with drawings from other firms that use an extremely long lists of Layer Filters.  Deleting all the filters always fixes the problem.

Message 15 of 24
jgkerns
in reply to: jcp

Good to know! Unfortunately in my case, that is not the problem here, but I'll keep an eye out for it in the future. I did have 10 layer states in one xref and 1 in another, but deleting them did not help my lagging issue. -Justin
Message 16 of 24
modeleader
in reply to: jgkerns

Bad lag here, autocad LT 2016

pick a hatch - LAAAAAG... - drop the hatch (esc) - LAAAAAAG..., open hatch properties window - LAAAAAAAG, change hatch properties - LAAAAAAG, close hatch proerties window - LAAAAAAg

The problem is the RIBBON.  The reason I know this is because when I turn the ribbon completely off, hatch operation is smooth, except for printing of course.  Time for paradigm shift in programming IMHO.  Of course, I'm just an operator so I will take what comes.

Message 17 of 24
lossbit

try to turn off the properties pallet

Message 18 of 24
scyrus98DW2
in reply to: lossbit

For my laptop, The lag is due to Hardware acceleration. Turning it off, meant jagged lines and some jitter, but it is far better than lag every single second.

I guess something is wrong with the basics.

Message 19 of 24
tijl.tytgat

I had approximately 20 unfound xref's attached in the drawing.  (file I recieved of architect). By detaching them all, purge and save the drawing the problem was solved. Even with properties open, Graphic performence all on and HPQUICKPREVIEW on.

Message 20 of 24

Was this issue resolved as I am having the same problem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost