AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this tag possible?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1090 Views, 8 Replies

Is this tag possible?

We, in our plans, do floor material transitions across thresholds. So there's a call out on each side of the threshold. I want this to be one tag, without an anchor. I don't want an anchor because the single tag needs to read from two objects. The floor material info is stored in two spaces, one on either side of the threshold.

I kinda see it like a location property...two property set definitions being called out. One on either side of the threshold. I want one tag to have a tail to one side, and this tail automatically grabs and reports the floor finish to one call out, and the opisite one has its tail going the oposite direction and calling out the floor finish from the space on the other side.

Does this make sense? Can it be done?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

why not use a "floor finish schedule" and call out the thresholds in there,
Pulling all info from the spaces in those areas?

wrote in message
news:6290533@discussion.autodesk.com...
We, in our plans, do floor material transitions across thresholds. So
there's a call out on each side of the threshold. I want this to be one tag,
without an anchor. I don't want an anchor because the single tag needs to
read from two objects. The floor material info is stored in two spaces, one
on either side of the threshold.

I kinda see it like a location property...two property set definitions being
called out. One on either side of the threshold. I want one tag to have a
tail to one side, and this tail automatically grabs and reports the floor
finish to one call out, and the opisite one has its tail going the oposite
direction and calling out the floor finish from the space on the other side.

Does this make sense? Can it be done?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

We do. It's not my choice. Without the tags we need to manually do it across like 15 thresholds per plan, 15-30 plans in a set.

It automatically does the right thing in our finish schedules. Our architect insists we do it. It's a HUGE expense of time to present information that already exists, so I'm desperate to minimize the time
Message 4 of 9
ToanDN

I don't think it's possible. I would just place 2 tags at the threshold, pointing opposite directions. Since you already have materials assigned there should not be much more work.
Message 5 of 9
David_W_Koch

I understand what you are trying to show; we do a similar thing here (manually, as far as I know).

Without an anchor, a tag is just a Multi-View Block that is not pulling data from anywhere other than what you manually enter (or have set as default values). A single tag can only be anchored to one space. If a single room only ever had doors opening out onto a single other room, then you "might" be able to use a location property on a Space, to read in the floor finish on an adjacent Space, then display both the Space floor finish and the "read-in" floor finish of the adjacent Space in a single tag. There could be issues with getting the order right for all possible orientations, however, and, for me at least, the deal breaker would be that there will almost always be Spaces that have doors into multiple other Spaces and at least one where you would need a two different flooring transitions.

I agree with TeamSquid's suggestion to set up a tag that shows half of your graphics (and displays the floor material for the Space to which it is anchored). Pop two in at each flooring transition and you should be good to go. You may need to be clever about the way you format the graphics so that it reads properly in all orientations. If the graphic convention is fixed, you may need several different tags, to suit various orientations.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I think I'll just make a block with two tags. Insert it, explode it, and anchor both tags. Thanks though. It'd be sweet if the location property "tail" could turn into a "pull this bit of data from here" tail
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I *think* I understand, but could you post a picture of what you want to do?

Matt
matt@stachoni.com

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:22:38 +0000, nkeeler@jwdstudio.com <> wrote:

>We, in our plans, do floor material transitions across thresholds. So there's a call out on each side of the threshold. I want this to be one tag, without an anchor. I don't want an anchor because the single tag needs to read from two objects. The floor material info is stored in two spaces, one on either side of the threshold.
>
>I kinda see it like a location property...two property set definitions being called out. One on either side of the threshold. I want one tag to have a tail to one side, and this tail automatically grabs and reports the floor finish to one call out, and the opisite one has its tail going the oposite direction and calling out the floor finish from the space on the other side.
>
>Does this make sense? Can it be done?
Message 8 of 9
ToanDN

You can place the block in a Tool Pallete and set it to explode when insert. Save a few clicks.
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

See the manual tag in door 078

http://www.jwdstudio.com/TAG.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost