AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inputting a survey in AutoCAD...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
435 Views, 3 Replies

Inputting a survey in AutoCAD...

I have a survey for a residential property with all the coordinates along which I input into CAD.  The house & property run in a NE/SW angle which isn't an angle I want to do work in.  If I pivot the drawing so the house & lot are parallel with the screen the crosshairs take on a weird shape.  It made me wonder if people did anything with the x/y coordinates or settings in the drawing?  

Should I just draw the floor plan in that funcky angle?  

Thanks.  

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BBP-Arch
in reply to: Anonymous

I usually import the survey into an Element. Or draw it from scratch as an Element. Then I create a SIte Plan Construct and drag and drop this element into my site plan construct. Then in my site plan construct I rotate the survey and place it where and how I want it so that from then on in the project it's in the orientation I want...like when I then create a site plan View, it's correct...same with the sheet.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: BBP-Arch

Does that retain true north?  

Now that I start to think about this, I remember a drafter at work teaching me about true north and CAD years ago but I'll be dammed, I can't remember what the heck he showed me.  😞  Is it even necessary to retain true north?  

Message 4 of 4
BBP-Arch
in reply to: Anonymous

That's precisely why I do it the way I described. Often times when you get a survey it's drawn w/ true north at the 90 degree, top of page. However, sometimes they then rotate it to suit their page setups, etc., but will include a north arrow to indicate north so you have a reference to bring into your construct. Conversely, if you were to draw the property lines from scratch using the metes & bounds descriptions, then true north is in the 90 degree direction of your computer (remember that by default autocad assigns 0 degrees as east, 90 degrees as north, 180 as west & 270 as south), and thus, your lot lines will be drawn properly.

Hope that made sense.

Scott

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost