AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing IFC files to ACA

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Oilymo
719 Views, 2 Replies

Importing IFC files to ACA

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with importing IFC files to AutoCAD Architecture?  We've started using a pretty good site surveying app and it has the ability to export to DXF (2D flat) and IFC which is a full 3D with wall heights, widths etc. as measured on site.  The only problem is I cannot seem to get our standard styles to work again once the import takes place.  I can change the object to the correct style however I cannot get it to display properly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks

Ben

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Victoria.Studley
in reply to: Oilymo

Hi Ben,

Which version of AutoCAD Architecture are you using?

When you import the IFC file, if you click "Options..." on the Import dialog, which setting are you using for Duplicate Styles?

After the import, if you draw native ACA objects, do those display correctly in the same style?

What happens if you switch the style of the object? Does it display correctly in any style?

Could you describe how objects are displaying incorrectly for a given style? (Are they missing linework, wrong layers, etc.?)

If the issue is only affecting the IFC imported objects, you can check the Display Representation for the object:

• Select and right-click the object.
  • Select "Edit Object Display..."
  • In the Display Properties tab, select the current Display Representation (bold) and click the "Edit Display Properties" icon (upper right).
  • Make sure the appropriate Display Components are visible (lightbulb on).

If you'd like me (or others on the forum who might have some experience with IFC imports) to take a look at the file to determine what is happening and help you with a solution, you can either attach a sample drawing to your next post or provide a link to hosted file using Dropbox, Google Drive, Sky Drive, etc. I'd be happy to take a look.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 3 of 3
Oilymo
in reply to: Oilymo

Victoria,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am using ACA 2012.  If I import the IFC (not duplicating styles) the native ACA objects do appear if selected and I can match properties which does resolve my issue somewhat.  What I was trying to understand is why I couldn't simply change the style and that suffice, it normally does.  The imported IFC file is from a survey app called Redstick iCAD which is pretty good (when linked to a Leica Disto via Bluetooth) however it would even better if I could import it (like a block) into one of my native drawings and it inherit my styles and standards rather than having to match properties etc..  Also I'd like to be able to purge the unused styles to keep the drawing sizes lean etc..

I've attached a file that I created last night, I'd be interested on your thoughts.

Many thanks

Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost