AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge price increase

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
VaDesigner10
1534 Views, 11 Replies

Huge price increase

Just got a quote from my "reseller".  They're stating Autocad increased it's price...by 16.5%!  What will be int he latest release to justify this price increase? 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
David_W_Koch
in reply to: VaDesigner10

Anyone who knows or has any information about the 2015 release is not permitted to say.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 12
VaDesigner10
in reply to: David_W_Koch

That's not very good sales and marketing, imho.

Message 4 of 12
pendean

Are you upgrading or buying 'new'? And why the surprise: price increases by any for-profit company are not tied to anything they offer you, but what they want to make themselves and to feed to their shareholders. It's normal, it's called a Free Economy, Business 101 rule in fact: charge what the market will pay and not a penny less.

NOTE: Autodesk is moving to a subscription-only model starting in Feb 2015: either way, be prepared and inquire now because the price to hop on to subscription is added to the full cost of a seat of ACA after that date.

Message 5 of 12
VaDesigner10
in reply to: pendean

"...price increases by any for-profit company are not tied to anything they offer you..."  You really did just say that?  And therein lies the problem.  Our free econmy has become a sense of corporate entitlement... 

I have NO problems with for-profit companies making a profit... As a consumer living in the reality of this present economy, I am simply inquiring as to what incredible value and new functions I can expect with a 16.5% price increase.   Fortunatley the free economy means I am free to spend my hard-earned money elsewhere if I am not satisfied with the perceived value, and there is no shortage of other choices on the market today.  There's no gas to pay for delivering the product, which is now downloaded; and it's not as though the upgrades over the last 5-10 years have been that monumental. 

I'd simply like to see a white paper on what the 2015 upgrades are that justify this rather large increase before I buy another year.

Message 6 of 12
pendean

I hate it when gas prices go up.
I hate it when milk goes up in price.
I hate it when price of bread goes up.

Am I getting better gas? better milk? better sliced wheat bread? hardly. Do they say so with every price hike? nope. Why expect other for-profit companies to do the same? I'm curious.

2015 products come out around the end of March: you'll have to wait to find out more. You can ask all you want, official info is not available until then.

NOTE: Autodesk is moving to a subscription-only model starting in Feb 2015: either way, be prepared and inquire now because the price to hop on to subscription is added to the full cost of a seat of ACA after that date.

Message 7 of 12
dgorsman

Something tells me no matter what any "white paper" says, you will think its not worth any extra money.  Thats OK - you're not alone.  Entitlement goes both ways.  If it costs X, then there will be those who complain that is not half that.  If it *was* half that, they would complain is not cheaper.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 12
VaDesigner10
in reply to: dgorsman

"Something tells me no matter what any "white paper" says, you will think its not worth any extra money. "  Wow... you have powers to see through cyberspace and determine a user's character based on a question...  Acutally, I prefer to buy better quality products and don't mind spending a few more dollars to do so.  But I ask quesitons to be informed.  It is quite possible that after hearing what upgrades are coming with the price increase, I determine that it's a bargain and decide to spend more on a larger upgrade, or purchase more seats. 

Am currently looking into a new exsternal harddrive and am deciding to go with the more expensive one becuase the price increase compared to the massive increase in storage is a very good value.  Thus, I am spending more than I budgeted becuase I found a greater value in the company's product.

Sheeple...

Message 9 of 12
David_W_Koch

I understand your frustration, but unfortunately Autodesk is required to abide by federal regulations, which limit what they can say about future products without being bound to provide what was described. The non-disclosure agreement (NDA) that everyone participating in beta-testing of the 2015 products "signed" prevents any public discussion of the products until Autodesk lifts the NDA, which will not happen until the features and code for the shipping version is set. That usually happens sometime in February or March, with no guarantee that this year will follow suit.

Unless you have the time and desire to participate in the beta process, you will have to wait until Autodesk unveils the 2015 lineup and the NDA is lifted. If that does not work out well with the timing of your renewal, I am sorry, but I cannot offer any other information at this time.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 12
VaDesigner10

David, Thanks for that information!  (Sad that teh "Free Economy" isn't so free afterall if the feds are calling the shots.  C'est la vie.) 

So...how does one get into the Beta process?  That sounds interesting.

Message 11 of 12
pendean

http://beta,autodesk.com
Message 12 of 12
David_W_Koch

Go to the beta programs site

https://beta.autodesk.com/

and select the Create Account button and fill in the information.  It is likely too late for this cycle (but maybe not - it cannot hurt to fill in the form).

You will want to read through this information, also:

https://beta.autodesk.com/overview/

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost