AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to uninstall/reinstall AutoCAD without losing support files?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Loutro
1286 Views, 3 Replies

How to uninstall/reinstall AutoCAD without losing support files?

I am running AutoCAD 2013 on Windows 7 on a virtual machine (Fusion) on my mac (Macbook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.8, 2.53 GHz, 8GB Ram.  

I want to delete Fusion from my machine and use Bootcamp to run AutoCAD instead.  Before I delete my virtual Windows machine and uninstall Fusion, I want to make sure that I have a copy of all supporting files for AutoCAD so that when I reinstall it in Bootcamp, I can restore all present functionality.

I am not very knowledgeable about AutoCAD or PCs in general, so I don't know what I don't know.  In other words, I know that there are files that AutoCAD uses that I have created knowlingly or not that are important to be reinstalled so that the program continues to work how I am used to, but I don't know what all these files are, or where they are stored. The most obvious example are .ctb files that I have created over the past several years that have moved automatically with each upgrade.  There are surely other aspects of customization that exist in files kept somewhere, that AutoCAD references, but again, I don't know where all such files are kept.

Could someone give me the best method for gathering all such files so that I can copy them to a thumbdrive and then reinstall in Bootcamp, once I've re-installed AutoCAD?

Any help is much appreciated!

Loutro

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
apexsilverevo8
in reply to: Loutro

What exactly are you trying to save? If it is custom routines or the like, they should be in the form of a lisp routine. In which case you can just set the lisp as autorun after you reinstall. With a little more information, I might be able to help you save exactly what you want.

ACA 2017
Windows 10 x64
Intel I-3700k@ 4.2Ghz
Geforce GTX Titan
16Gb PC1600
256Gb Intel 540 SSD
3TB - WD HDD
LG 34in. LED + 2x Samsung 27in LED
Message 3 of 4
pendean
in reply to: Loutro

Your request is too vague for anyone to grasp what it is you wish to save. If you don;t knwo exactly what it is you wish to save, my guess is it's not worth saving as it adds no value to you.

Please try and be very specific in a follow up post: you use the software presumably, so you can list what it is you wish to save and use later.

Message 4 of 4
Loutro
in reply to: pendean

I intended my post to address the question generally.  I do use the software, but not professionally.  I have used it during school (recently) and have not always used it on an everyday basis.  I would describe my use of it as "light."  I alluded to  this in my post.  

Someone in another forum pointed me to the "Migrate Custom Settings" tool (All Programs > Autodesk > AutoCAD2013), and I think that taking this step has been sufficient.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost