AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cut a section and create a section view in autocad architecture

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
khan.situm
5639 Views, 6 Replies

How to cut a section and create a section view in autocad architecture

So, I we were taught autocad at hour school but not autocad architecture because apparently autocad architecture is too "advanced" for us. Smiley Frustrated so now I need to draw window details (thermally broken aluminum frame window with insulating glass unit) but it is so much work in autocad however I was told that I can just draw a window in autocad architecture and just cut a section and just make a few adjustments to get the window detail. So please if anyone could help me out on this, would be very much appreciated. Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
KathyMoffa
in reply to: khan.situm

Installing AutoCAD Architecture just to cut a single section of a window is counter-productive.   It's going to take you infinitely more time than doing it in AutoCAD, or for that mattter,  drawing it by hand. 

Message 3 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: KathyMoffa

I would agree with Kathy.  The ACA Window Object does not inherently have the level of detail that you mention in your post, so you are likely to be disappointed by the initial results of a section cut.  You could customize your Window Styles to include custom blocks showing more detailed section graphics.  Depending upon your workflow, you may be better served leaving the out-of-the-box Window graphics "as is" and then developing a library of detailed blocks for use in 2D details that get called out from the generated section.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 7
khan.situm
in reply to: David_W_Koch

@ David, How do I customize a window? 

Tags (2)
Message 5 of 7
Irish2

Many window manufacturers have details on their websites that will have the level of detail you need. Unless you need the exercise of drawing then why reinvent the wheel?

Message 6 of 7
David_W_Koch

You can create AutoCAD Blocks that show the custom graphics and add them to your Window Style (most likely as a Style-level Display Override).

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 7
thawkeshnm
in reply to: Irish2

Came in here to day the same thing that was said above.

Goto the manufacturer of the window, and get the detail in CAD form from them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost