AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i export a autocad (dwg) file to vectorworks (vwx)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
alex
33214 Views, 5 Replies

How do i export a autocad (dwg) file to vectorworks (vwx)

How do i export a autocad (dwg) file to vectorworks (vwx). I need to to export dwg files to vwx. I have autocad architecture 2011. I need to do this through autocad or some free download program converter. Any ides.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: alex

-EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command (note the dash) if sending your DWG file did not work. Those are your free options.

Message 3 of 6
jmartinarch

I think vectorworks can open .dwg files.  There will be a bit of translation either way because of their use of classes and layers.    But I have used VW a little and it imported / converted .dwg files.

Message 4 of 6
alex
in reply to: jmartinarch

Ya vectorworks can do it. But i was hoping to convert it to vector works befor doing it with vectorworks. (if that makes sense) Hopfully using autocad to do so.

Message 5 of 6
ntellery

Autodesk doesn't convert dwg to anything else!  Everything else works around dwg!

That's what happens when you are the market leader.

You could try the IFC export but I'm not sure how good VX is at the import end.

I tried exporting an IFC from ACA2009 it couldn't even reimport the same file without major errors.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 6 of 6
ChascoRed

Export the .dwg as a .dxf.  In Vectorworks click File -> Import -> Import DXF/DWG.  It will take you through a menu of options as to scale etc... and then click done and it will open.  You may have to shift some things around but it should be pretty solid.  Save as or export it as a .vwx to be read else where.  I prefer to export the Autocad as a dxf because it seems to be a better file format and holds everything intact.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost