AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Help] ACA - AEC Walls invisible in 2D, visible in 3D. Sometimes.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
icedkasz
2816 Views, 6 Replies

[Help] ACA - AEC Walls invisible in 2D, visible in 3D. Sometimes.

I'm working on a multi-level residential building in AutoCAD Architecture 2012.  The construct I have open is set to be around 9' above grade.  
I'm having some trouble with my custom walls (as well as the pre-defined walls).  I have line drawings from a client of the exterior walls.  I'm adding interiors using AEC walls.  Unfortunately, they oftentimes disappear if I draw them starting at one of the exterior (line) walls.  Sometimes it doesn't even matter.  Strangly, I can't see them from a 2D view, but a 3D view causes them to show up.  I suspect there are certain "zones" that cause this disappearance.

I clearly have a lot to learn.  Can anyone help me out with this?  And point me in the right direction for further learning?

1 pic attached

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ntellery
in reply to: icedkasz

It would be a cut plane issue.  By default, walls follow the global cut plane so walls drawn above or below the cut plane may not show, as designed.

Are you using the project navigator?  If so, the normal method is to draw at 0 z plane and the PN sorts the levels and heights out through views. So if you are working in a construct and drawing at a level other than 0 then you are working outside the PN design.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 3 of 7
icedkasz
in reply to: ntellery

Nailed it.  Thank you, Ntellery, for that prompt and efficient response.  Progress continues! 

While I'm here, I'm wondering if you could help with another question...

I'm currently using 3 interior wall types, for convenience's sake.  Party wall, plumbing wall, and a standard partition wall.  These have drywall on the outsides, and stud and other contents on the inside.  I'm going to run into trouble when I want a plumbing wall running parallel to (and right up against) a party wall.  Obviously having both wall's drywall attached to eachother, between studs, would be ridiculous.  What would you recommend for this situation?  Create a "1-sided plumbing wall"?  Or adjust where the existing plumbing wall connects to other walls? Or something?

*edited for clarity*

Message 4 of 7
ntellery

ok.

I tried to do cladding to inside walls but abandoned it as too much trouble for too little gain. My internal walls are just one component (brickPlastered) for the reasons you ask.  However I understand with framework = more details and you want to be honest.  I think the one sided wall is fair idea.  Also you could try - you should have your walls set to 0 cleanup radius.  New paradigm since about ADT2004. This means you can run 2 walls together if baseline is on far side and not touching. But this would still have drywall if zoom in.  Are you gaining quantities? (in future?).  

You could run your other style and override the material property for the cladding on the inside to an 'AIR' material so it disappears?  As long as your display is bymaterial this could work.  Nice thing about this method is the wall style stays std, no override. only material is overridden for that wall. (hey I could go back and use this idea myself!).  I use an 'AIR' material for other componants that I want to disappear such as my cavity which is empty.

I first wrote this but realise I misunderstand but it might help you otherwise.

Sorry I don't quite understand why not the clean up but you prob work diff to me so that's ok.

You can override a cleanup at one end if you need to (look at the properties pallete with one wall selected or just give them different index numbers to the componants in the wall style so they don't clean up.

For me no prob to have drywall cleanup with drywall as in real life. Maybe the stud componant is different and you want to maintain the separation?

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 5 of 7
icedkasz
in reply to: ntellery

>This means you can run 2 walls together if baseline is on far side and not touching. But this would still have drywall if zoom in.

Exactly the problem.  These need to be ready for presentation to investors.  No half-assing, unfortunately =D

>You could run your other style and override the material property for the cladding on the inside to an 'AIR' material so it disappears? 

Just so I understand this correctly - are you suggesting I can manually make certain materials on a wall invisible?  Could I still have my plumbing wall flush against my party wall?

Message 6 of 7
icedkasz

Man.  That original wall problem came back.  Something's wrong with the walls I created.  They're the right height, they're extending (and starting) from the correct spots, but they just don't want to appear when I extend them from the original lines.  Madness. 

I found a workaround, though; I told autocad to ignore the plane cut.  Now it just shows everything.  Finally.  This program's a little fussy, but I'll get it eventually. 

Message 7 of 7
ntellery

Are those crossed walls 2 diff styles?  How did you override the cutplane.  (btw fyi I work multilevels in 1 file and I override the cutplane for walls. I don't recommend my system for larger projects (yet) but I'm not sure why this is not std.)

Did you override for one style and not another?  If you have style overrides for that display rep then you will need to set the CP for each style. (My walls have no style overrides so I only have to override the std wall and it's set for all walls).  This causes the wall to have it's own cutplane relative to it's own baseline ignoring where it is in relation to z hieght.

My walls have an empty cavity unlike typical around the world. So in order to have my wall without overrides I created a aecmaterial called 'air' which is turned off in all reps for all (plan. 3d etc).  I was thinking I could then set a material object override for that wall on that side to turn off the drywall display. (this is if I added the plaster componant and showed the plaster thickness)

Interesting;  I just grabbed a stud wall from the UK catalogue and backed it up and the gyp disappeared. Doing the same with the std (US) cat the problem is as you have.  I've attached and will let you or someone else figure out the difference.  Please whomever, post back here.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost